+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Olympic Games terror attack thwarted

  1. #1
    Unregistered Guest

    Default Olympic Games terror attack thwarted

    A TERRORIST gang targeting the Olympics has been busted and a separate hijacking attempt aboard a flight to Beijing thwarted, Chinese officials say.

    Crew members have been credited with stopping an "air disaster" on the China Southern Airlines plane, which was forced to land in Lanzhou.

    The flight originated in Urumqi, where it has now claimed a militant gang targeting the Olympics was brought down in January.

    Two militants were killed and 15 arrested in the January 27 raid in the capital of China's Muslim-dominated Xinjiang region, a high-level official said overnight.

    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23346242-2,00.html

    Chuck Martel

  2. #2
    Unregistered Guest

    Default Poppycock

    The first mention of the January raid has not offered any proof that it was anything more than a wedding ceremony reception that they broke up or some other gathering that has been criminalized by the Chinese Communist Party government.
    As also mentioned in other accounts, the Chinese government has not labeled the incident portrayed in this news story as a 'terror' incident.

    When you think about it, it is criminal to even disagree with the government, so maybe the incident was that a minority man mistakenly went to the rest-room reserved for CCP officials and that was the incident.

    As soon as the full details are released from both of the supposedly connected incidents, then maybe the world can start to judge whether or not the ChiComms do tell the truth. For now though, we can't trust one word - they are always lying.

    not one word...

  3. #3
    Unregistered Guest

    Default

    It was a wedding ceremony? Do you have anything that supports that contention?

    I pray the ETIM doesn't emulate the PLO and try to recreate their version of the 1972 Munich Olympic Games massacre.

    Chuck Martel

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    24

    Default China goes quiet over Olympic terror claim

    China goes quiet over Olympic terror claim

    Telegraph Media Group
    By Richard Spencer in Beijing

    China today began to retreat from a claim that a Muslim nationalist terror cell had been plotting attacks on this summer's Beijing Olympics.

    The claim was made on Sunday by the Communist Party secretary of the Xinjiang autonomous region of western China, which has a substantial population of Muslim ethnic minority groups.

    "Obviously, the gang had planned an attack targeting the Olympics,” said the secretary, Wang Lequan, referring to previous reports that two terrorists belonging to the so-called “East Turkestan Islamic Movement” had been killed in a raid in the Xinjiang provincial capital Urumqi in January.

    Yet while his words were prominently reported on the English-language version of the state news agency Xinhua immediately afterwards, they largely disappeared from Beijing media today, and no more details were forthcoming.

    There was no mention of the Olympics terror alert in People's Daily, the official mouthpiece of the Communist Party, or on the Chinese-language Xinhua service.

    China Daily, the English-language state newspaper, reported Mr Wang's promise to “deal resolutely” with terrorists and secessionists, but left out any mention of the Olympics.

    The original English-language report had also disappeared from the Xinhua website.

    The Beijing Olympics Organising Committee issued a brief statement saying that it was confident the Games would be safe from terrorists.

    The East Turkestan Islamic Movement is commonly blamed by the Chinese authorities for violence in Xinjiang, where the biggest Muslim group, the Uighurs, is restive and has some history of resistance to Chinese rule.

    East Turkestan was the name the region took during a very brief declaration of independence in 1945.

    A series of bomb attacks was attributed to separatists in the 1990s, and ETIM was listed as a terrorist group by the United States in the wake of the September 11 attacks in 2001.

    But Uighur support groups say opposition to Chinese rule is peaceful and that it serves the interests of both Beijing and Washington to exaggerate the connections of the group, if it exists at all, to Islamic terror.

    The most vocal Uighur groups are also pro-American and have no history of fundamentalist Islamic belief.

    The unusual response to the incident will strengthen their suspicion that the Chinese are using international support for high-level security at the Olympics as a tool to discredit them.

    The raid on the terrorist cell, in which police said grenades were thrown and five officers injured, was reported at the time, but the plot was then said to have been planned for the eve of Chinese new year last month.

    Urumqi police said they “didn't know anything” about the link to the Olympics.

    The police did confirm that there had been an incident on board an airliner flying from Urumqi to Beijing on Friday, characterised by Mr Wang's deputy, Xinjiang's governor Nur Bekri, as an attempt to crash the aircraft.

    A spokesman for the Urumqi police special investigation department said one suspect had been arrested, and tests were being carried out on an inflammable liquid to see what it was.

    According to a local media report, a stewardess smelled petrol, which was traced to an 18- or 19-year-old Uighur girl, who reacted “abnormally” when challenged.

    The paper said a second suspect was involved.

    The plane made an emergency landing in the city of Lanzhou, before flying on later to Beijing.

    According to a report by one of the passengers on a Chinese website, after the plane landed in Lanzhou, police removed four passengers of Uighur appearance.

  5. #5
    Unregistered Guest

    Default

    Yes, it must be the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The first mention of the January raid has not offered any proof that it was anything more than a wedding ceremony reception that they broke up or some other gathering that has been criminalized by the Chinese Communist Party government.
    As also mentioned in other accounts, the Chinese government has not labeled the incident portrayed in this news story as a 'terror' incident.

    When you think about it, it is criminal to even disagree with the government, so maybe the incident was that a minority man mistakenly went to the rest-room reserved for CCP officials and that was the incident.

    As soon as the full details are released from both of the supposedly connected incidents, then maybe the world can start to judge whether or not the ChiComms do tell the truth. For now though, we can't trust one word - they are always lying.

    not one word...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •