PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on Rebiya Kadir's Release

Turdi Ghoja
21-03-05, 18:39
Needless to say, like millions of my countrymen around the world I am thrilled by her unexpected early release. But, I do not feel any sense of gratitude towards the Chinese authorities. I still have not forgotten that they imprisoned her for 6 long years without justification nor do I have reason to believe that the human rights situation in East Turkistan or China has improved.

The motive and timing of her early release has been a subject of discussion in the press and website forums in the past couple of days. International human rights groups and most people who follow China closely think justifiably that it is a public-relations maneuver rather than a sign of real improvement in human rights in China. After all, she was released just before the Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's visit to Beijing and as the annual session of the United Nations Human Rights Commission starts, and China is well known for the art of playing political-prisoner diplomacy.

Some Uyghurs expressed on Internet forums their concerns that the Chinese Government might be up to something more sinister than what meets eyes. Their concern or fear is linked to the Uyghur detainees at the Guantanamo. They may have their reasons to be suspicious, especially after reports re-emerged last week suggested that sending them back to China is still on the table as an option should the effort to find a host nation for them fails. China's imprisonment of Rebiya Kadir is seen by many Uyghurs including myself as not just a punishment for her and her family but also a veiled threat to Uyghurs in general and Uyghurs in abroad in particular. Its message for the Uyghurs at home was that if they can imprison a person with such a stature for such flimsy reasons, the rest of them better keep their eyes open while sleeping. The message we got as activists outside of China is that we may be outside of their border but we are not outside of their reach since our relatives still live at their mercy back home. If her arrest was about intimidating Uyghurs, it is only fair to suspect that her release is not about pleasing Uyghurs and locking that message in a box and throwing the key away in front of the world.

However, I have my own theories about China's motivation. We learned last month that Rebiya Kadir is among the candidates for this year's Nobel peace price. Imagine she wins the Nobel price and its impact on the Uyghur cause, remembering that it is the Nobel price that made Dalai Lama the worldwide celebrity and gave the Tibetan cause an unprecedented exposure that they enjoy today. It is not a pretty thought to the Chinese. A Nobel price is the ultimate recognition, attention grabber or advertisement, whichever you want. It could also be a ticket to Hollywood. After all, her eventful life sounds more like a Hollywood movie than a real life story. After the prestigious Rafto award, she may have a real shot at the Nobel. Now what would the Chinese do if they think a sympathy vote may increase her chance?

If that is their motive or a part of it, I hope they will be proven wrong. With right kind of PR, she still could keep the momentum going and take a good shot at the Nobel. If she wins, it would be a vindication for all Uyghurs around the world. I pray for that day to come!

Turdi

Turdi Ghoja
21-03-05, 20:48
"Nobel price" should be spelled "Nobel prize." Sorry for the misspell.

Turdi

Erkinuc
21-03-05, 22:19
I agree with your concern, so is their anything we can do to help to go for the Nobel Prize? Maybe we can support her to finish her biography, if there is one book about an Uyghur can be published, it will be helpful and it will be helpful to her as well. Many nobel prize winner had thier book before they were awarded.

Erkinuc

Toghra Yol
22-03-05, 01:42
Siddiq hajim nechche waqittin buyan toghra meslehet beridighan, toghra ish qilidighanlarning emes, hata bolsimu oz yurtluqlirining etrapida boldi. qatnashqa qoshuni, tutqan yoli tuptin hata idi.
eger yene shu egri yolda kitiwerse, yene shu qalaymiqan, eqlidin azghan kalwalarning gepi bilen yol tutsa, yalghuz ozige emes, belki hormetlik Rabiye Hanimgha ziyan berip qoyidu, buning bedili tolenmeydu.
Siddiq hajim emdi toghra yolda menhishi, elning, kopchilikning yolida mengishi kirek.

bolmisa biz qancha qilsaqmu, Rabiya Hanim uchun ichimizdin qan yighlap ketsekmu, Siddiq Hajim toghra yol tutmisa, tar qosaqliq qilsa, ozi nechche waqittin buyan mangghan Enverning yoligha bashlisa Rabiya Hanimgha eng eghir ziyanni beridu. Rabiya Hanim buningdin kiyin Sddiq Hajimning ayalilam emes, Uyghur helqining soyumluk perzenti. Uyghur dawasining simwoli. helqimiz Rabiye Hanimgha dagh kelturidighan ish qilmaydu, eng chong ziyan kelse yenila ozining ichki chembiridin kilishi mumkin.

Siddiq Hajim buni bilemdu?

hemmeylenge insap tileymen.

Sultan
22-03-05, 02:54
Turdi Wrote :
"Needless to say, like millions of my countrymen around the world I am thrilled by her unexpected early release. But, I do not feel any sense of gratitude towards the Chinese authorities. I still have not forgotten that they imprisoned her for 6 long years without justification nor do I have reason to believe that the human rights situation in East Turkistan or China has improved"

My Brother Turdi ... i Agree In All What You Have Wrote Plus i Think That The Chinese Evil Government Released Rebiya Kadir So They Can Ask For The Guantanamo Uyghurs By Showing The Nice Face To U.S.A By Releasing Her .

i Pray For The Day When We Revenge For All Our Myrters And Hearoes Who Died For The Honor And Pride Of Our Land Against Our Enemies China And Russia.

hippie
23-03-05, 05:35
Sultan, please end your talk about "Revenge for Martrys and Heroes"...what do you mean by that?
Think of South Africa and how they handled the end of apartheid (how diffirent is that from what we face?). Yes, we can never forget the bad things, but let us not be blinded by hate. Never compromise our rights, but no compromise to hate. Seek jobs and land and votes and rights, not blood.

As for Rebiye, her relase is not good for the nobel prize, but she will do so much for the movement as a spokeswoman, in the long run. Anyway, Wei jingSheng was nominated many times and had a lot of support, but China is good at lobbying in Stockholm. i pray for her victory, but i would not hold my breath.

i worry about horse trading Rebiye for Guantanamo prisoners..was it a deal? I doubt it..but maybe, China is very determined, and they can't stay in Guantanamo forever.

Toghra yol nime
23-03-05, 07:21
TOGHRA YOL namý bilen kirgen dostumuznung eytkenige qarap bakýn.
"...Siddiq hajim emdi toghra yolda menhishi, elning, kopchilikning yolida mengishi kirek..." deptu.
Bashqa nime deptu : "...ozi nechche waqittin buyan mangghan Enverning yoligha bashlisa Rabiya Hanimgha eng eghir ziyanni beridu..."

Toghra yol nime?... shunu eytmaptu.
Hökümitning yoli müstaqillik... Hökümitning yoli erkinlik... Hökümitning yoli aptonomcuhuluk emes... Shu gepler, asasi qanunda elan kýlýngan.
Emdi Hökümit qandak ziyan beridu Rebiye hanýmga...
Köpchilikning yoli nime? Erkinlik mi?, Müstakillik mi? Kök bayrak astide Xitayge karshý kuresh qýlmak mu?
Shundaq bolsa merhamet, Hökümitning eshigi Sherkiy Turkistanlýkmen digen her kixige açuk...
Rabiye Qadir bolsa bizning anamýz... sembolimiz... Oylaymen Enver mi shundaq oylaydu.
Enverning sahsiyeti bilen qarýmýz yoq. Qýlgan ishige karaymiz...

Erkinuc
23-03-05, 09:48
I aggree with Hippie, we shall not give up our right, but we shall still try to live in whatever peace we have, not in hate. We shall not give up anyone who is abusing us. As for our myrters, if Allah- the most merciful trully put them as myrters, then let them be in peace, and indeed, we should know that they are actually in a better place than us. Only Allah know the best.
I am also concerned about the deal, so there is more for us to fight, to fight against sending those Guantanamo prisoners back to China, and to support Rabia for her future contribution to Uyghurs.

Erkinuc

Sultan
23-03-05, 22:28
Brothers hippie & Erkinuc

What You Have Said Is True And i Agree With It But In Our Days Peace Will Not Bring Any Part Of Our Land Back To Us Again , More Than 60 Years Now And We Gained Nothing By What You Are Calling Peace , OPEN YOUR EYES Look What Happened In Kyrgyzstan ! By Force And Only Force They Took Two Cities And They Are Marching To The Capital City While We Are Talking Here And The Kyrgyzstan Case News Now On All The News Channels Around The World , The World Knew What Is Kyrgyzstan ANd Whats Happening There Not Like Us , No One Knows About Our Situation In Eastern Turkistan ! If We Just Do Like What Happened In Kyrgyzstan Then The World Will Know That There Is a Land Called Eastern Turkistan Suffering From The Evil Chinese Government ! By Your Talking i See That You Care About The Novel Prize More Than Our Brave Brothers In Guantanamo ... Everyone Love To Live In Peace My Friend But This Peace Will Not Come When We Are Dealing With a Government Like China ... About Our Myrters ... Ofcourse They Are Now In a Better Place But i Believe Also That They Are Crying When They See Us Waiting For Peace While Our Enemies Eating Us.