PDA

View Full Version : Patriotic Education 爱国教育 Wetenperwerlik Terbiyesi

Unregistered
28-06-17, 06:53
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN19I310

PATRIOTIC EDUCATION

"I'm losing my mind, I've already had six staff sent back to their hometowns this past month for study," said a restaurant manager in Urumqi who, like many people Reuters spoke to in Xinjiang, declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the issue.

His Uighur staff were required to return home to southern Xinjiang for one month's study of Mandarin Chinese, another month learning about China's legal system and a month of vocational training, he said.

"We all spend so much time doing things that aren't our actual jobs. I have to take my staff to watch a flag-raising forty weeks of the year. If I don't, I will be taken away for thirty days of study," he said.

As well as the time spent on such matters, Uighurs who represent just over 45 percent of the population are being increasingly marginalized by the Han Chinese, undermining the overall economy.

Three Han Chinese entrepreneurs told Reuters local authorities had told them not to employ Uighurs. And a Han Chinese real estate agent in Urumqi said he had been told not to sell properties to Uighurs from southern Xinjiang.

There has been a change in attitude towards balancing stability and economic growth in Xinjiang since Chen Quanguo became its new Communist Party boss last August in what analysts say was an implicit endorsement of his previous hard-line management of ethnic strife in Tibet.

"Xinjiang used to have a policy of 'with one hand we maintain stability, with the other hand we grow the economy' but now it's just 'maintain stability with both hands, at all costs'," said a local businessman and former government official.

Chen said in a speech last September that "all our work in Xinjiang revolves around maintaining a tight grip on stability."

(Reporting by Sue-Lin Wong; Additional reporting by the Beijing Newsroom; Editing by Martin Howell)