PDA

View Full Version : FBI Arrests Chinese Terror Suspects



Yolvas
21-01-05, 14:08
FBI adds 10 names to Boston probe
Authorities seeking Chinese nationals
From Kelli Arena and Kevin Bohn



WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The FBI has added the names of 10 more people to the list of those being sought for questioning in connection with a possible terror plot against Boston, Massachusetts.

FBI spokesman Joe Parris said Thursday that the 10 are in addition to four Chinese nationals already wanted for questioning about the uncorroborated threat.

Authorities have refused to describe the nature of the threat.

"The information is still uncorroborated and from a source of unknown reliability and motive," Parris said in a written statement.

"The FBI will not make any further comment on the matter at this time."

Parris said the 10 new names "were developed as a result of the ongoing investigation into this matter."

Of the 10, the FBI said five were Chinese nationals, four of them men and one a woman.

The nationalities of the other five were not immediately known.

Chinese officials were largely mum on the reports.

In Beijing, Foreign Ministry spokesman Kong Quan Thursday refused to comment on the identities of the latest Chinese nationals added to the FBI list, but said:

"I'd like to point out that so far the information has not been verified, but I want to emphasize that China is a victim of terrorism. We want to strike hard against terrorists and we will plan to strengthen cooperation with other countries. This is our clear and steadfast stance."

Law enforcement sources said the names came from the same tip that talked about four Chinese scientists wanting to obtain material and commit an attack in Boston.

Two Iraqis were also mentioned in the threat, the sources said.

One official familiar with the investigation said the tip initially went to the California Highway Patrol.

Although government officials have emphasized the information was uncorroborated and unsubstantiated, the FBI and U.S. Attorney's office in Boston on Wednesday put out an alert for the original four Chinese -- two men and two women -- with their pictures.

The authorities identified them as Zengrong Lin, Guozhi Lin, Wen Quin Zheng and Xiujin Chen. None of their names appeared on government watch lists.

The threat prompted Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch to drop their plans to attend President Bush's inauguration Thursday and return home a day early.

Romney told reporters an anonymous tipster reported that all four of the initial suspects had been smuggled into the United States from Mexico.

While he said the threat was uncorroborated, he said the state Emergency Management Agency and other law enforcement agencies were at a heightened state of alert.

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino specifically dismissed reports of a plot involving a radiological "dirty bomb" or fuel tankers. He called on the public to remain calm amid "much misinformation circulating."

The FBI identified the 10 new people wanted for questioning as:

1. Yu Xian Weng, female; Chinese

2. Qinquan Lin or Qiquan Lin, male; Chinese

3. Liqiang Liang, male; Chinese

4. Min Xiu Xie, male; Chinese

5. Xiang Wei Liu or Xing Wei Liu, male; Chinese.

6. Mei Xia Dong, male; nationality unknown.

7. Xiuming Chen, male; nationality unknown.

8. Cheng Yin Liu, male; nationality unknown.

9. Zao Yun Wang, male; nationality unknown.

10. Jose Ernesto Beltran Quinones, male; nationality unknown.



Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/20/boston.threat/index.html