PDA

View Full Version : Survey on Uyghurs. Please join

Unregistered
01-09-06, 10:02
Survey on Uyghurs

My name is Henryk Szadziewski and I am a Masters student in Development Studies at The University of Wales. I lived and worked in Kashgar for 3 years in the Nineties and have continued my interest in Uyghur issues over the years.

As part of my studies I am researching the impact of the Great Western Development Drive. I want to understand how far Uyghur people have participated in the formation of Great Western Development Drive policy and projects. To this end I have written a survey which I would like Uyghur people to complete. I believe that the survey will provide important evidence of the effects of the Great Western Development Drive on the Uyghur population. It is this information that I would like to present to the academic community and therefore increase awareness of the political and economic consequences of the Great Western Development Drive.

I would like you to consider sending this survey to any Uyghur contacts you have or to post it on any forums your website contains. The survey is attached to this email and is in English. Naturally this assumes that recipients will be able to understand English.

Swansea University
School of Environment and Society
Centre for Development Studies
Masters in Development Management: Dissertation Module

A Survey of Opinions on the Great Western Development Drive in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, the People’s Republic of China

Date:
Community:
Ethnicity:

1. Have you heard of the Great Western Development Drive?

Yes 0

No 0

2. What do you think are the objectives of the Great Western Development Drive?

3. Are you hopeful that the Great Western Development Drive will bring Xinjiang’s economic development to the same level as East China?

Yes 0

No 0

3.1 Why/Why not?

4. Are you hopeful that the Great Western Development Drive will personally bring you more economic opportunities?

Yes 0

No 0

4.1 Why/Why not?

5. Have you seen any changes in your community which are directly caused by the Great Western Development Drive?

Yes 0

No 0

5.1 If yes, what are those changes exactly?

5.2 If no, what kind of changes would you like to see?

6. Have the people of your community been consulted by officials about the Great Western Development Drive?

Yes 0

No 0
6.1 If yes, did you participate?

Yes 0

No 0

6.2 If you participated, were you listened to?

Yes 0

No 0

6.3 If no to question 6, what kind of consultation would you like to have?

7. How often are you informed about the Great Western Development Drive through TV, the radio, newspapers, magazines and public meetings?

Every day 0

At least once a week 0

At least once a month 0

Never 0

8. Does the information you are given accurately reflect the reality of the Great Western Development Drive?

Yes 0

No 0

9. What are your overall impressions of the Great Western Development Drive?

Favorable 0

Neutral 0

Unfavorable 0

Indifferent 0

10. Please make any additional comments below.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Henryk Szadziewski.
henrykszad@hotmail.com