View Full Version : U.S. warns Americans in China of threats

Unregistered
09-06-06, 16:33
U.S. warns Americans in China of threats

http://uyghuramerican.org/forum/showthread.php?p=14219#post14219

Stratfor
09-06-06, 17:39
Jun 09, 2006

On June 9, the U.S. Embassy in Beijing, China, issued a Warden Message citing a possible terrorist threat against U.S. interests in China, especially in the cities of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. This latest warning uses the standard language for Warden Messages and is based on unconfirmed information.

The Warden Message could be based on information that came to the U.S. Embassy from a foreign intelligence agency or from another source, such as a "walk-in" -- someone coming in off the street claiming to have information about a threat. If the tip came from a foreign intelligence agency, it was probably taken seriously even if it could not be immediately confirmed. If it came from another less-credible source, such as a "walk-in," U.S. State Department personnel could have issued the warning as a precaution.

Releasing a Warden Message about security is not taken lightly by the State Department. Host governments, seeking to foster a sense of security, are often reluctant to share information about potential threats with other governments. The security warning has complicated Beijing's efforts to project an image of security and stability, and to encourage foreign investment.

The United States has issued Warden Messages for China before. In 2005, an unusual series of events transpired when the U.S. Embassy issued a Nov. 9 warning after learning that Chinese security forces advised hotels that Islamist extremists could be planning to attack four- and five-star hotels in China. That message was retracted the next day when the Chinese Ministry of Public Security told the U.S. Embassy that the source of the reported threat was not credible. However, just three days later, another Warden Message was issued based on "credible information" about a threat to "official U.S. government facilities in Guangzhou," although that threat never materialized.

Overall, security threats rarely emerge in China. Even if the threat is not immediately apparent, the State Department will take the precaution of issuing the warning, as it did in November. This is similar to the situation in Japan, where the State Department issued a Warden Message in May 2006 after receiving unsubstantiated reports of a threat to U.S. interests there.

As far as security for U.S. interests in China is concerned, Washington is worried about threats from Southeast Asia, where Jemaah Islamiyah and its offshoot, Tanzim Qaedat al-Jihad, remain capable of attacking. Beijing has reason to be concerned about militant threats to its own interests; jihadists could theoretically infiltrate the country through the sparsely populated autonomous Xinjiang region, where a small, fractionated separatist movement still exists within the ethnic Uighur community there. Jihadists could receive support and assistance from sympathetic Uighurs. Xinjiang borders Central Asia, where some Uighurs have been involved in the relatively low level of militant Islamist activity.

If there is a security threat at all in China, it is probably from outside the country -- but Beijing often looks for opportunities to crack down on the Uighurs. And if a threat does materialize, the Uighurs likely will be implicated even if they are not involved.

Copyright 2006 Strategic Forecasting Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.stratfor.com/products/premium/read_article.php?id=267457

Behat1934
08-05-19, 08:24
Yes, I have heard this news. That time I was in China because I was helping my client in his https://customessaysreviews.com/essaychief-com-review/ website. When our government said that, I was really scared and I stopped outing in China with my friends. But after few days, it was all good and we can go anywhere we want. But thanks to you for explaining it why did US government said that.