PDA

View Full Version : UAA Holds Its Fifth Biannual Congress

Unregistered
30-05-06, 11:05
UAA Holds Its Fifth Biannual Congress

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, May 28, 2006
General Secretary
Phone: 202-321-2388

Washington ? The Uyghur American Association (UAA) has successfully held the Fifth Uyghur American Association Congress and elected prominent Uyghur leader and human rights advocate Ms. Rebiya Kadeer as its new president.

"I am delighted to be elected as the new president. I will do everything in my power to struggle for the human rights and religious freedom of the Uyghur people in East Turkestan," said Ms. Kadeer.

Together with Ms. Kadeer, four Uyghurs were elected as board of directors. Among them, Omer Kanat was elected as the Vice-president. Alim Seytoff was elected as the General Secretary. Rushan Abbas was elected as the Director of Communications. Alimjan Abdukerim was elected as the Treasurer. However, Mr. Kanat has decided to withdraw from the board for personal reasons. Ms. Rushan Abbas was appointed as the Vice-president and Qilic Kanat was appointed as the Director of Communication.

The Congress was a joyful event attended by more than 200 guests from all over the United States and around the world. Most UAA members actively participated in the Congress and were excited with the election results.