PDA

View Full Version : Mine is mine, negotiate yours

Unregistered
29-04-06, 21:30
http://www.negotiationskills.com/qacult9.html

a good site for everyday life.

How Can I Deal With Chinese Tactics?

Question: I need some advice on how to counter Chinese negotiation tactics and strategies. For example, the Chinese often uses the 36 strategems and The Art Of War (Sun Tsu). For example, "killing with a borrowed knife". How do you counterattack or defend yourself from this strategy?

Response: The most important element of your response to such strategies is to anticipate and understand them. In your example of "killing with a borrowed knife" you are talking about one party using another party's strategy, tactics, or strengths in a pre-emptive manner to turn their advantage into one of your own. If you understand the tactical approaches another party is likely to use, or actually uses in a negotiation, you will not be surprised and you can think of substantive responses to their strategy.

You can also take a very different approach, not as an alternative but rather as a complement to the idea of needing to understand them. You need to develop your own negotiation strategy based on a philosophy or set of ethical standards with which you are most comfortable. While in ancient times people waged war to determine who was right -- the winner, if you will -- we now recognize that war is fundamentally destructive of every participant.

A negotiation which yields a winner and a loser is a failed negotiation. The 'loser' is going to walk away grumbling, "If they think I'm going to fulfill my part of the deal, they're going to have to drag me kicking and screaming through the process." There's an old expression in the USA: "If you cheat me once, shame on you. If you cheat me twice, shame on me." Negotiating is not an alternative form of warfare, rather it is a full-blown substitute for the combative approach for solving problems.

If other parties insist on negotiating using outmoded competitive negotiation strategies, make it clear that you are not interested in a one-sided outcome. Unless the parties to a negotiation reach a mutually-agreed solution to which each is genuinely committed, the process was unsuccessful. You can say to folks relying on "The Art of War", "If you persist in using that approach, I am afraid we may fail to reach agreement." Since failure means a loss of an opportunity to gain, they may realize that competition is not the appropriate direction to take. Negotiation by formula only works when the circumstances fit the particular formula. For negotiation to succeed, people need to accept that unless both sides are comfortable with both the process and the results, bullying tactics may win the battle but will lose the war.

Good luck,
Steve

Unregistered
29-04-06, 21:40
http://reference.allrefer.com/country-guide-study/china/china375.html

oguzhan
30-04-06, 06:13
thank you for posting this message.

It is about time to let the intellect handle serious situations,

emotional approach makes the Uygurs poets,
or legend writers.........

Today the advertising and commercial world
takes a lot of heed and inspiration
from the ancient war strategies.

As a result there are hundreds of macdonalds
and even Starbucks ! in (Beijing) China !

cordially,
oguzhan

Unregistered
30-04-06, 17:47
China makes 1989 Tiananmen payout

Suppression of the protests sparked worldwide shock and anger
A Chinese mother whose son died in the aftermath of the 1989 pro-democracy protests has received a payout from the authorities, a rights activist says.
Tang Deying was given 70,000 yuan ($8,745) in "hardship assistance" by officials in the south-west city of Chengdu, local activist Huang Qi said.

Zhou Guocong,15, died in police custody in Chengdu days after the suppression of the Tiananmen Square protests.

But other relatives say they doubt this marks a start to compensation payouts.

The Chinese authorities have consistently claimed their actions in June 1989 were justified.

Nationwide crackdown

Huang Qi hailed the payout as a "breakthrough", saying Tang Deying had campaigned for justice for the last 17 years.

"It's the first time that compensation has been paid for a victim of the 1989 events," he told the AFP news agency.

1989 TIANANMEN EVENTS
15 April: Reformist leader Hu Yaobang dies
22 April: Hu's memorial service. Thousands call for faster reforms
13 May: Students begin hunger strike as power struggle grips Communist Party
15 May: Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev visits China
19 May: Zhao makes tearful appeal to students in Tiananmen Square to leave
20 May: Martial law declared in Beijing
3-4 June: Security forces clear the square, killing hundreds

The award was welcomed by Beijing activist Ding Zilin whose son was killed during the protests, but she said it was unlikely to indicate a softening in the government's stance.

"This is a first, but I must point out that hardship assistance does not amount to compensation," she told the Associated Press news agency.

"Compensation would signify that the government admitted it had wrongly killed someone, but I don't see such an admission in this case".

Hundreds of demonstrators were killed when the authorities sent in tanks to Tiananmen Square on 3-4 June 1989 to break up the mass protests calling for greater freedoms.

In the days that followed, police carried out a nationwide crackdown of protesters and bystanders caught up in similar movements in other cities around the country.

Mr Zhou is thought to have been beaten to death while in police custody. Although he was cremated, photos of his body showing the cuts and bruises later emerged.

talebe
01-05-06, 03:18
thank you for posting this message.

It is about time to let the intellect handle serious situations,

emotional approach makes the Uygurs poets,
or legend writers.........

Today the advertising and commercial world
takes a lot of heed and inspiration
from the ancient war strategies.

As a result there are hundreds of macdonalds
and even Starbucks ! in (Beijing) China !

cordially,
oguzhan

I always read Oguzhan's opinions with high respect,
I just want to add one point to it;
1. How many Chinese restaurant in the USA(or just in D.C)?
2. What is the percentage of merchadise on the shelfs of SAM's club or Wallmart,Homedepot, Costco or any other store... MADE IN CHINA rather than
made in USA?
3. How many China town in the USA?
4. How many US town in China?
5. How many Chinese staying in USA? and how many American in China?
6. .....

regards
Talebe

Unregistered
01-05-06, 17:19
http://www.ku.edu/~kuanth/people/faculty_dwyer.shtml#

http://washington.eastwestcenter.org/Publications/dwyer.pdf

Unregistered
02-05-06, 10:02
Hitayning bu oyunlirini rasa echiwitish mohim.

bolmisa gherplikler hemme ishning aq kongulluk bilen oylap hitayning depigha usul oynawatidu.

Unregistered
02-05-06, 16:56
Yikindin biri uyghurlarni tetkik kiliwatkan alimlar asasen ayallar iken. bularning gheyritige qongkur rehmet eytimiz.

http://yaledailynews.com/articlefunctions/Printerfriendly.asp?AID=28980

Unregistered
03-05-06, 16:43
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200603290144.html

Asia/ Bilingual education spreads Chinese to ethnic minorities

03/29/2006
BY KAZUTO TSUKAMOTO, THE ASAHI SHIMBUN

BAXKERAM KANT, China--At an elementary school on the outskirts of an oasis town along the Silk Road, Chinese authorities are carrying out a unique cultural experiment.

In one of the classrooms of this white, one-story school house, 47 students in the fourth grade are reading their "national language" textbook in a loud voice.

The language is Chinese. However, all of the children are members of the Uyghur ethnic minority. At home, they speak the Uyghur language.

Located in the town of Baxkeram Kant in the western part of the Xinjiang Uyghur autonomous region, the school is attracting notice as a pioneering bilingual school, in which children of a minority people learn subjects not in their own language but in Chinese.

The school was set up in 2000 by the local government at a cost of about 430,000 yuan (6 million yen). All of the 532 students are Uyghur, an Islamic people whose ancestors are said to have come from Turkey.

The school children have four classes a week to learn their mother tongue, Uyghur, and as many as seven classes a week to study their national language, Chinese. All other subjects are taught in Chinese, and children are forbidden to speak Uyghur on the school grounds.

The textbooks they use are the same as those used by children of China's main ethnic group, the Han people, who account for 92 percent of the total population of China. Most of the teachers at the school are also Han.

In other public schools in and around Baxkeram Kant, where more than 95 percent of the population is Uyghur, students have only four classes a week to learn Chinese language and all of their subjects are taught in Uyghur.

Arzigul, an 11-year-old fourth-grader, transferred to the bilingual school from a conventional public school three years ago. Since then, her Chinese language abilities have improved to a level where she can carry on conversations easily in Chinese.

"I would like to become a medical doctor and treat Uyghur people," Arzigul said.

Her parents are cotton and grape farmers. Her 53-year-old father, who is in poor heath, is not even able to talk with receptionists at hospitals because he cannot understand Chinese.

He hoped by enrolling her in the bilingual school, his daughter would have a brighter future. He knew that with Chinese she would have a chance to land a good job later on.

More and more Uyghur people are hoping to get their children into bilingual school. Last year, 737 children applied for just 80 places. The school held a math test to choose successful applicants.

Tuitions and dormitory fees are paid by the state. Students pay 180 yuan (about 2,500 yen) every six months for other expenses, including the cost of food. That figure amounts to about 10 percent of the average per capita annual income in the area of about 1,860 yuan. There are few job prospects available to young Uyghurs except farming.

"If they can speak Chinese language, they can obtain professional knowledge and skills," said the bilingual school's president Huang Ming.

Huang, 33, is a Han Chinese who grew up in Baxkeram Kant. He once taught at an elementary school for Han children, but when local Uyghurs told him they wanted their children to learn Chinese, he urged the local government to set up a bilingual school.

"There are no parents who don't hope that their children have good lives in the future," Huang said.

The school is now constructing another building and plans to accept as many as 200 new students this summer.

In the Xinjiang Uyghur autonomous region's Yarkant prefecture, where Baxkeram Kant is located, even some of the conventional public schools are teaching mathematics and science in Chinese.

"If Uyghur children master Chinese, they have better chances for their future. I want to show (what is possible) in this prefecture," said the prefectural governor, who uses a single name, Osman.

Osman, 43, who is Uyghur and who grew up in the autonomous region's capital city of Urumqi, was appointed governor of Yarkant prefecture in September last year. Previously, he was in charge of Chinese language education to minorities at a university. His achievements at the university led to his appointment as governor.

The school at Baxkeram Kant is part of a broader effort by Beijing to spread Chinese language to 55 minorities in the country. Among the 8 million Uyghurs, efforts to encourage people to learn Chinese have been stepped up since 2000. Measures include:

・Inviting senior high school students in the Xinjiang Uyghur autonomous region to schools in Beijing and Shanghai free of charge so that they can study there;

・Inviting junior high school students to Urumqi, also at no cost to their families, to study Chinese;

・Training teachers who can speak both Chinese and Uyghur languages.

・Using Chinese-language textbooks at Uyghur elementary schools.

"A common language is necessary for every people to take part in economic activities on an equal basis," said an official of the autonomous region's education department.

Critics of the language programs say it is part of a plan by Beijing to neutralize ethnic minorities and force them to assimilate with the Han majority.

In the autonomous region, some Uyghurs are engaged in a movement for separation and independence from China. However, a growing number of young Uyghurs are growing up with weaker reading and writing skills in their native language.

"(Even if they master Chinese,) I don't want them to forget our language," Arzigul's father said.(IHT/Asahi: March 29,2006)

oguzhan
03-05-06, 20:26
I always read Oguzhan's opinions with high respect,
I just want to add one point to it;
1. How many Chinese restaurant in the USA(or just in D.C)?
2. What is the percentage of merchadise on the shelfs of SAM's club or Wallmart,Homedepot, Costco or any other store... MADE IN CHINA rather than
made in USA?
3. How many China town in the USA?
4. How many US town in China?
5. How many Chinese staying in USA? and how many American in China?
6. .....

regards
Talebe

ESTEEMED BROTHER,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMPLIMENTS,

CHINESE PRESENCE IN USA THROUGH THE HISTORY
HAS NOT BEEN A HAPPY ONE FOR THEM.

THEY UNDERWENT ALL KINDS OF MISTREATMENT
NOT NECESSARILY CORRESPONDING
WITH THE CONTEMPORARY SPIRIT OF HUMAN RIGHTS

BUT NOBODY REALLY CARES/OR WANTS TO KNOW

WHAT WENT ON IN THE PAST

HOW MUCH PEOPLE HAD TO PAY
FOR WHAT THEY POSSESS TODAY.

SO CHINESE PRESENCE IN USA

AND THEIR SUCCESS IN FINANCE WORLD

IS ACTUALLY A POOR REWARD FOR
WHAT THEY HAVE GONE THROUGH.

UNFORTUNATELY TURKISH PEOPLE
HAVE NOT TAKEN MUCH HEED FROM
US FREE ENTERPRISE

THERE ARE 70 DIFFERENT KINDS OF MEATBALL RECIPES

AND WE STILL GO TO MACDONALDS !!!!!!

WITH ALL THE GLOBAL PROMOTION MADE

THERE IS A VERY GOOD CHANCE FOR TURKISH NATIONAL MEATBALLS

TO SECURE A GOOD PORTION IN US GASTRONOMICAL MARKET........

WELL,THAT IS MY WISH.

CORDIALLY,

OGUZHAN

PS.TURKISH COFFEE HAS THE OLDEST KNOWN HISTORICAL RECORDS

AND UNFORTUNATELY IS NOT EVEN VISIBLE
IN GLOBAL COFFEE MARKET...........

talebe
04-05-06, 03:29
with all respect to my brothers views, I just see it from different prespective.
is it just a reward or is it part of the 36 tactics/strategies,
misstreatment???
how Jews have been treated in US in early years,
how about color of people?
how...
how chinese are treating others in other's land?
I wish/hope you've read/studied the 36 strategies of chinese warfare,
if haven't I recomend you to start right away.

so long
talebe.

ESTEEMED BROTHER,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMPLIMENTS,

CHINESE PRESENCE IN USA THROUGH THE HISTORY
HAS NOT BEEN A HAPPY ONE FOR THEM.

THEY UNDERWENT ALL KINDS OF MISTREATMENT
NOT NECESSARILY CORRESPONDING
WITH THE CONTEMPORARY SPIRIT OF HUMAN RIGHTS

BUT NOBODY REALLY CARES/OR WANTS TO KNOW

WHAT WENT ON IN THE PAST

HOW MUCH PEOPLE HAD TO PAY
FOR WHAT THEY POSSESS TODAY.

SO CHINESE PRESENCE IN USA

AND THEIR SUCCESS IN FINANCE WORLD

IS ACTUALLY A POOR REWARD FOR
WHAT THEY HAVE GONE THROUGH.

UNFORTUNATELY TURKISH PEOPLE
HAVE NOT TAKEN MUCH HEED FROM
US FREE ENTERPRISE

THERE ARE 70 DIFFERENT KINDS OF MEATBALL RECIPES

AND WE STILL GO TO MACDONALDS !!!!!!

WITH ALL THE GLOBAL PROMOTION MADE

THERE IS A VERY GOOD CHANCE FOR TURKISH NATIONAL MEATBALLS

TO SECURE A GOOD PORTION IN US GASTRONOMICAL MARKET........

WELL,THAT IS MY WISH.

CORDIALLY,

OGUZHAN

PS.TURKISH COFFEE HAS THE OLDEST KNOWN HISTORICAL RECORDS

AND UNFORTUNATELY IS NOT EVEN VISIBLE
IN GLOBAL COFFEE MARKET...........

SHEYDA
20-05-06, 19:27
Ben Turkiye'den Sheyda...
Herkese Selam Larrr :=)
Ben De Amerika'da Okumak Istiyorummmm...
But.... :'(