PDA

View Full Version : In Search of Uyghur Musicians

Singerde
19-10-12, 10:05
Hello,

(I apologize for my use of English -- I do not know the Uyghur language, only some Mandarin.)

I am a Boston University graduate student in ethnomusicology: I am interested in learning about music and musicians from different parts of the world. On my trip to Beijing this summer, I met several Uyghur musicians and really enjoyed speaking to them about their music and hope to learn more about it.

I am looking for Uyghur musicians to talk to and learn from in the Boston area or New York, but am having trouble finding any community groups or ensembles. If you know of any, I would love to know how to contact them.

Thank you,
Daniel Singer
singerde@bu.edu

Unregistered
19-10-12, 11:42
Hello,

(I apologize for my use of English -- I do not know the Uyghur language, only some Mandarin.)

I am a Boston University graduate student in ethnomusicology: I am interested in learning about music and musicians from different parts of the world. On my trip to Beijing this summer, I met several Uyghur musicians and really enjoyed speaking to them about their music and hope to learn more about it.

I am looking for Uyghur musicians to talk to and learn from in the Boston area or New York, but am having trouble finding any community groups or ensembles. If you know of any, I would love to know how to contact them.

Thank you,
Daniel Singer
singerde@bu.edu it is a good idea to have information about uyghur musician,you could try with this web site:LONDON UYGHUR ENSEMBLE.COM

singerde
19-10-12, 16:52
it is a good idea to have information about uyghur musician,you could try with this web site:LONDON UYGHUR ENSEMBLE.COMThank you! I have contacted them.

Unregistered
19-10-12, 23:55
I am afraid you would not have much luck finding any. There are only half a dozen Uyghur families in each of these cities and none of them is a musian. There used to be a musician from Uzbekistan in New York, but he disappeared from the community. Maybe he went back home. As far as I know, there is not a single professional musician in US. There are one or two who can play duttar though. They all live in DC.

Hello,

Thank you,
Daniel Singer
singerde@bu.edu

singerde
21-10-12, 18:24
I am afraid you would not have much luck finding any. There are only half a dozen Uyghur families in each of these cities and none of them is a musian. There used to be a musician from Uzbekistan in New York, but he disappeared from the community. Maybe he went back home. As far as I know, there is not a single professional musician in US. There are one or two who can play duttar though. They all live in DC.Thank you...this is very disappointing news.

Unregistered
21-10-12, 22:18
Hello,

Thank you,
Daniel Singer
singerde@bu.edu

http://www.berklee.edu/

If you could contact them, they might know a Uyghur musician who is around you. Good luck!