PDA

View Full Version : Tea in Kashgar

MaryKay
18-01-12, 03:23
What kind of tea do Uighurs in Kashgar drink? What does it taste like? Cinnamon? Black tea? Do they add spices or milk? Thank you! This is for another research paper.

Adel.Uyghur
18-01-12, 04:10
Black tea is most popular one. Uyghurs drin black tea many times each day without milk. In breakfast, Uyghurs in Kashgar drink a big bowl og black tea normally with naan. Uyghurs also drink Uyghur herbal teas as well. There used to be raws of tea houses in Kashgar till 1990 and some people used to put ice-sugar in kettles. In some tea house, people used to listen live music.

Unregistered
18-01-12, 05:17
if you know Uyghur Language

you can have a lot of information both about tea and Uyghue Tea Culture

www.uyghurpedia.com search for 'chay'

What kind of tea do Uighurs in Kashgar drink? What does it taste like? Cinnamon? Black tea? Do they add spices or milk? Thank you! This is for another research paper.
u

Adel.Uyghur
18-01-12, 05:52
In better English:

Black tea is the most popular drink of Uyghurs in Kashgar. Kashgar Uyghurs drink black tea as many times a day as they have the chancec, often with no milk. For breakfast, most Uyghurs would have black tea in big bowls normally with naans. Uyghurs often drink Uyghur herbal teas, made by local medicine men. Raws of tea houses could have been found in Kashgar till 1990s. In those tea houses elderly people would stay hours having a chat with their mates or listen to live music. Unfortunately, now the government have "ears" every where and people too scared to talk in tea houses.

dervish
21-02-12, 21:09
While I was in Xin Jiang ( at least 6 different times, a month stay each ) Uygur people in Kashgar, Hotan, Turfan and other areas of Xin Jiang, drank both Kara (black) or Kok ( green) cay (tea). But I belive traditionally they drink "Kara Cay=Black tea". Especially in the mornings and also mostly in winter time it seems like Kara cay is more popular than Kok cay. Xin Jiang was a very important location/route for the famous "Tea Road". They know their tea in this area. Uygur people also harvest their black tea with most divine flower pedals such as pink rose pedals, saffron, yellow daisy etc. The smell and taste of that tea is out of this world. If you go to the bazaar to buy loose tea, they usually add those mixture into your choice of black tea. ( which could be Indian, Chinese etc.) They are also very big in herb teas, they drink herb teas for healing purposes. Most herb teas are traditional medicine. I wish this post accepts attachments, I would have sent you the photo of this famous Kashgar tea blend. Wish you a success in your research.

Unregistered
22-02-12, 02:10
By the way in all Uyghur cities there are night markets and you can drink a lot of local & international teas, like Vodka-Moskwa or Johnnie Walker Whisky etc.

Unregistered
22-02-12, 06:36
You say very true gentlemen, but I do not understand anything told.

IHTIYARI MUHBIR MEKKE