PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for my presentation on Independence movements

Annie
27-11-04, 04:04
Dear all:
I am going to give a presentation on “Uyghur independence movements and State response”, but stranded in the reasons that caused the two famous incidents, Baren massacre in 1991,and Ghulja uprising in 1997. I read some books and articles, but they hardly mentioned the causes. So I came here in the hope of getting some information from you. Any clue about these two movements greatly appreciated.
Here is my email address: Annie_xj@hotmail.com
Thanks.

suggestion
28-11-04, 18:23
An Australian researcher produced a thesis titled:

The Uighurs Quest for Destiny: From Autonomy to struggle for Independence

It will answer all your quires re: current socio-political situation and strugles of Uyghurs for independence in line with Chinese and International responses.

If you like, you can get it as an Interlibrary Loan through your library from Australia.

Thanks for suggestion
28-11-04, 19:50
OK, I'll try to find this article. Thanks a lot for your help.

More details
28-11-04, 20:34
Here is the more details of that item:

The Uighurs quest for destiny : from autonomy to the struggle for...

Main Author: Shamseden, Zubayra.
Title: The Uighurs quest for destiny : from autonomy to the struggle for independence / Zubayra Shamseden.
Publication Details: 2004.
Description: ix, 130 leaves : maps ; 30 cm.
Thesis Note: Thesis ( )--University of South Australia, 2004.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location: Magill Special Collection, University of South Australia

Thanks again
28-11-04, 22:43
Thank you. I made a request from the library services. Hopefully get it soon.
Once again thank you for your so detailed information.
All the best,
Annie

uighur
28-11-04, 22:45
There is the book called COMMUNIST CHINA'S POLICY OF OPPRESSION IN
EAST TURKESTAN .

http://www.harunyahya.com/e_turkestan05.php

McDisco
01-12-04, 18:00
I recently finished a paper on the Ili Valley-based East Turkestan Republic, and in my search found a few sources that you might find useful.

First, check out Christian Tyler's book titled "Wild West China: The Taming of Xinjiang". It is kind of elementary if you are an academic, but is an easy read and the bibliography should give you a good start.

Also look at Frederick Starr's book called "Xinjiang: China's Muslim Borderland" That one deals with modern, post-PRC Xinjiang. I didn't find it very useful in my paper, but for a more modern focus, it would be handy to flip through it.

By the way, if any board resident is interested in reading my paper ("Before the Mujahideen: The First Muslim Cold Warriors"), please e-mail me. I would appreciate your feedback.

m

Annie
02-12-04, 21:20
Thank you all who responded my message. I successfully finished the presentation today. Many listeners were quite interested in this topic. I was really impressed by some questions.

To Mc Disco:

Although the presentation is done, I still love to know more about Uyghurs. Please feel free to send your paper to annie_xj@hotmail.com, Thanks!

Uyghur
03-12-04, 09:39
To McDisco,

Could you please send your paper to heverci@yahoo.com ?

Thanks very much in advance.

Uyghur