PDA

View Full Version : Income ineqalities in China

Unregistered
29-01-06, 14:41
Recent reports state China has now become the fourth largest economic power in the world (USA, Japan, Germany and China) with the GDP growth at 9.9% and with the average annual income of $1700. I wonder if this is true. Anyone who has some other data about the income ineqalities (regional, urban, urban and maybe ethnic) in China is wecome to discuss and analyze here.

A.A...
29-01-06, 19:16
China has a very small population at the top of the society who is extremely rich, very weak middle class in the middle, and huge amount of extremely poor people who live in absolute poverty (less than $1 per day) at the bottom of the Chinese society. It is not CORRECT to measure a nation's economic power by GDP, you have to look how the wealth is distributed. If China doesn't deal with such a huge gap between the poor and the rich, it will collapse sooner or later.

Recent reports state China has now become the fourth largest economic power in the world (USA, Japan, Germany and China) with the GDP growth at 9.9% and with the average annual income of $1700. I wonder if this is true. Anyone who has some other data about the income ineqalities (regional, urban, urban and maybe ethnic) in China is wecome to discuss and analyze here.

musapir
29-01-06, 20:23
Only the communist party bosses and their accomplices are rich. The situation is worse in "Xinjiang". eg. an ordinary Uyghur need to pay as much as 10 years of his total imcome to a Chinese head of a village to obtain a low paid job for his recent graduate son. However, a Chinese graduate gets some government bonus to come to Uyghur Region to have btter paid jobs.

A Uyghur farmer needs to pay for the Chinese dominated hospital as much as of his one year's total income to be treated one day in the hospital. However, those rich bosses get much better treated freely.

Uyghurs are compensated much less for their land which has been taken away from them to sell for the Chinese immigrants and the family members and relatives of Chinese party bosses in the region. The Chinese in the "Xinjiang" becoming rich by forcefully and deceptively obtaining Uyghur land properties.

All of these kinds of things are continuing by the government systematically.

Unregistered
03-02-06, 15:20
People should not get so amazed or so alarmed by the GDP growth of China--look back at the story of Brazil in the 1960s and 1970s..... his marvelous growth rate awed and amazed the whole western world; but finally this spoiled boy didn't stand up to the expectation of the world because of his many many social problems-- think about the social development of China today. The foreign investement or the trade volume don't speak for the whole development. I think people should turn their attention to India, since that is an economy more efficient and human....

A.A...
03-02-06, 21:11
I believe India's economy is much more humane than China's, and its political system is much more democratic than many other nations in the world (in this sense, China is by no means comparabile with India, because China has never had a word called democracy throughout its history). But I am not sure the efficiency of India's economy. I think Chinese are more successful in terms of economic development, and I know why: the Chinese try every shameful means to get things done. Foreign direct investment is very important in Chinese economy, but it is not the only driving force. According to my research, foreign investment only accounts for 1/3 of Chinese industries, other 60% is private industry and state-controlled industry. That means the Chinese economy is not vulnerable bubble economy, it is much stronger than what we thought. But you are absolutely right, China completely ignores social equality, moral values, and human rights by emphasizing economic prosperity. And I think the achievement of a nation can not simply measured by its economic development. Praising a nation like China who is building its prosperity at the price of sacrificing thousands and millions of cheap labors and refusing the basic rights of its citizens is immoral and inhumane.

People should not get so amazed or so alarmed by the GDP growth of China--look back at the story of Brazil in the 1960s and 1970s..... his marvelous growth rate awed and amazed the whole western world; but finally this spoiled boy didn't stand up to the expectation of the world because of his many many social problems-- think about the social development of China today. The foreign investement or the trade volume don't speak for the whole development. I think people should turn their attention to India, since that is an economy more efficient and human....

Unregistered
04-02-06, 20:01
i am sorry for not being very precise in my argument. when i was talking about the efficiency of Indian economy, i thought about the production/cost of china's economy. since we know china is relying much on premier resourses , too much. compared to what is costing , what they get is really not much. India is much better in this way..... i think when A.A. was talking about the efficiency, he/ she was talking about the speed. but even speed, India is reaching 8 or 9 percent of growth rate in these two, three years. by the way, if one third of one country's economy depends on foreign resources, thats already a lot.....
generally, we get the same view on china's economy, but its always too early to juge how it will turn out in 20, 30 years--super power in the world or clapse down because of unhealthy development....

A.A...
04-02-06, 21:20
Thanks for the clarification. But I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I never said China is super power, and I don't want it will be, because the stronger the Chinese eonomy is, the more marginalized Uyghur people will become. I wish the world turned its attention to somewhere else, India, Japan, anywhere but not China, unfortunately that is not the case...