PDA

View Full Version : 21 Jan. SCMP/Reuters - XInjiang Daily says 18k Uygurs were arrested in 2005

Uyghur
21-01-06, 03:58
Saturday, January 21, 2006
18,000 Uygurs arrested for 'security threats' last year
REUTERS in Beijing

More than 18,000 people were arrested for threatening national
security in the mainly Muslim region of Xinjiang last year, a
newspaper reported yesterday.

Uygur activists, who Beijing says are terrorists trying to split the
mainland, have been struggling for decades for self-determination in
Xinjiang.

The official Xinjiang Daily put the number of people arrested in the
region for endangering state security - considered as everything
from terrorism to talking to foreign reporters - at 18,227.

"Uygurs are scared. They can be arrested even for a slip of the
tongue," said Dilxat Raxit, of the World Uygur Congress, a
German-based organisation seeking more freedom for the region they
call East Turkestan.

"We have no rights. But we are also human beings," he said, adding
that even more people - all Uygurs - were probably detained by
police and not formally charged.

Human rights abuses in Xinjiang were worsening and the world did not
pay enough attention, Mr Raxit said.

"If anything, the human rights situation in Xinjiang is getting
worse. The world is not putting enough pressure on China because
they are scared of affecting economic ties," he said.

Human Rights Watch, a New York-based group that campaigns against
political repression and torture, said in its annual worldwide
report that China remained beset by widespread rights abuses.

Xinjiang faced tightening repression, it said. Beijing lashed out at the report, saying the claims came out of "thin air" and were entirely politically motivated.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Kong Quan said he had not bothered to
read the report.

Mr Raxit said: "If China thinks the report is wrong, it should let
international human rights groups into Xinjiang to investigate
without limits."
>
In October, China marked the 50th anniversary of the establishment
of Xinjiang as an autonomous region.

Beijing says its system of autonomous regions for ethnic minorities
allows them a degree of self-governance, but activists say it is a
means for the authorities to maintain tight control.

The Public Security Ministry last year labelled East Turkestan
forces the main terrorist threat to China. It said more than 260
terrorist acts had been committed in Xinjiang in the past two
decades, killing 160 and wounding 440.

Among the most prominent Uygur activists is Rebiya Kadeer, a
businesswoman freed from detention in March and exiled to the US
after serving years in prison on charges of providing state secrets
abroad.

Musajan
21-01-06, 13:59
This is not correct. The original Chinese article says that this is the total number of people arrested in XUAR for *all crimes*, and this is of course not limited to Uyghurs. Whoever wrote this article either does not read Chinese well or does not do their own research. Human rights situation for Uyghurs in China is very bad, but we should deal only with facts and not errors.

Here is the link to the original article, for those of you who read Chinese.

http://www.xjrb.com.cn/news/xinjiang/85235.shtml

Musajan
21-01-06, 14:00
自治区人民检察院检察长作报告称去年查处县级以上干部50人
时间: 2006-1-20 8:04:00 新疆日报网
  1月19日,在自治区十届人大四次会议举行的第二次全体会议上,自治区高级人民法院院长买买提· 肉孜和自治区人民检察院检察长买买提·玉素甫,分别向大会作了自治区高级人民法院工作报告和自治区人 民检察院工作报告。
  2005年,全区法院共受理刑事、民事、行政和国家赔偿等各类案件300796件,结案273841件 。买买提·肉孜说,公平司法水平逐步提高。去年一年,全区法院加强审判监督,二审、再审案件被改判、 发回重审的占全年审结各类诉讼案件总数的3.73%。对不构成犯罪的39名公诉案件被告人依法 宣告无罪。
  买买提·玉素甫在检察院工作报告中提到,去年一年,自治区人民检察院共对公安、国家安全等机关侦 查的犯罪嫌疑人批准逮捕18227人,提起公诉21853人。立案侦查贪污贿赂、渎职侵权等职务犯罪案件6 29件701人,为国家挽回直接经济损失3859万元。其中,贪污贿赂5万元、挪用公款 10万元以上的大案209件,县处级以上领导干部涉案50人,同比上升13.4%和47%。抓获在逃职务犯 罪嫌疑人8人。
  自治区高院院长买买提·肉孜承诺,2006年继续重点查处法院领导干部和法官滥用职权、以权谋私 、枉法裁判等违法违纪案件,确保2006年高级法院不发生违法违纪问题。

Uyghur
21-01-06, 16:15
Thank you for the correction. Someone emailed this article to me. I didn't check how accurate it was. Sorry about that.

This is not correct. The original Chinese article says that this is the total number of people arrested in XUAR for *all crimes*, and this is of course not limited to Uyghurs. Whoever wrote this article either does not read Chinese well or does not do their own research. Human rights situation for Uyghurs in China is very bad, but we should deal only with facts and not errors.

Musajan
21-01-06, 17:20
It's not your fault. Reporters are supposed to check the facts themselves. That's their job.

Unregistered
22-01-06, 00:14
Xitaydimi, Dunyadimu nurghun kopturulme xeverler her kuni degudek, yeyyilip yuridu.belkim u muxbir bizge kongul bolidiaghn birsi bolsa kerek.dunyaning diqqitini tartish uchun dep salghandu.
nede bir yerlerde heqiqetchiligimiz tutup ketidu bizning .

It's not your fault. Reporters are supposed to check the facts themselves. That's their job.

Unregistered
22-01-06, 13:11
bu hewerdiki 18227 kishi qolgha elindi digenni 18000 uyghur dep elishning hichqandaq bir hata yeri yoq.
resmi menbede eytilghandimu "bu rayundiki dewlet biheterlikige tehdit peyda qilghan 18227 kishi tutuldi" dep berilgen.

Uyghurdin bashqa Hitayning dewlet biheterlikige tehdit peyda qilghan bu rayunda hazirghiche kim qolgha elindi?

men hetta bu sanning eslidiki qolgha elinghanlardin bekmu towenlikige ishinimen.
Hitaylar ozi bergen hewerde hergizmu 18227 uyghur biheterlikimizge tehdit salghanliqi uchun qolgha alduq dimey, hewerni biraz omumiyuzluk tutushqa urunghan bolishi mumkin.
bizmu bu hewerni ozimizning meneetimiz tighrisida ishlitishimiz kirek.

hata diguchiler bolsa digenlirini ispatlap qoysa bolidu.

"The official Xinjiang Daily put the number of people arrested in the region for endangering state security - considered as everything from terrorism to talking to foreign reporters - at 18,227."

Unregistered
22-01-06, 14:15
so you (musa) really bealive that is the number of people arrested in East Turkistan...
if you do, you should deal only with the real facts and not what Chinks say on their news articles.
by the way, Don't just judge people without knowing your ownself, and the situations well...

Musajan
22-01-06, 17:04
First of all, I am not Uyghur and I don't read Uyghur. I use this name for other reasons. Maybe I should call myself Anonymous.

Second, I believe I do know what I'm talking about. I work for a well known human rights organization that is focused on the human rights situation in China and that has worked on behalf of many Uyghur political prisoners. My organization was closely involved with the release of Rebiya Kadeer. Maybe you know of this?

Third, I read Chinese well, although I am not Chinese. I know what the article in Xinjiang Daily says. It says that 18,227 arrests requested by public security and state security police were approved by procuratorates in XUAR. It does not say anything about what kind of crimes those people were accused of.

Fourth, these 18,227 people were "formally arrested." Chinese police can detain people on suspicion of crimes, but they are supposed to request permission from the procuratorate (prosecutors) in order to hold them beyond 30 days. Last year, 18,227 of these requests were approved. This says nothing about the number of people who were detained. Certainly that number is much higher.

Fifth, I am making no judgement about whether the Xinjiang Daily report is true or not. But the Reuters reporter says the article says something that it does not say. He treats the article as a "fact," but he does not correctly represent the "facts" as stated by the article.

Finally, I posted this correction neither as an attack on the original poster nor as a defense of the Chinese. The responsibility for this article is with the Reuters reporter and his editors. If any of you want to attack me personally for trying to correct his errors, you can go right ahead. I will continue to work on behalf of your Uyghur brothers and sisters even if you choose not to show me any respect.

This is the last time I post to this web site.

Unregistered
22-01-06, 18:21
Take it easy everybody! Yes, the Chinese article says the total number includes people arrested both for public security and national security. But, even if we take the face value of the Chinese report, the mistake on the reporter's part does not make it too far from the actual situation on the ground. Of course, I am not saying it is ok to make mistakes, but it is not big enough to distort the reality. So, let's chill it at both sides.

Uyghur
22-01-06, 19:54
Musajan,
I feel sorry for what happened to you. As I said, I didn't check the accuracy of the article, and I don't read Chinese news because I know enough about Chinese media. I believe you are aware of the Uyghurs' terrible situation in China. Sometimes it is very hard for some of us to be objective and dispassionate because we have seen so much suffering of our people that nobody hasn't. I know it is not a reasonable excuse to attack someone. But I still hope you can understand our feeling. You are more than welcome to visit this website and post your opinions.

Uyghur folks,
Please remember we need more friends, not more enemies! Try to be more tolerant with different opinions and respect the friends who care about our people.

Thank you.

Original poster

First of all, I am not Uyghur and I don't read Uyghur. I use this name for other reasons. Maybe I should call myself Anonymous.

Second, I believe I do know what I'm talking about. I work for a well known human rights organization that is focused on the human rights situation in China and that has worked on behalf of many Uyghur political prisoners. My organization was closely involved with the release of Rebiya Kadeer. Maybe you know of this?

Third, I read Chinese well, although I am not Chinese. I know what the article in Xinjiang Daily says. It says that 18,227 arrests requested by public security and state security police were approved by procuratorates in XUAR. It does not say anything about what kind of crimes those people were accused of.

Fourth, these 18,227 people were "formally arrested." Chinese police can detain people on suspicion of crimes, but they are supposed to request permission from the procuratorate (prosecutors) in order to hold them beyond 30 days. Last year, 18,227 of these requests were approved. This says nothing about the number of people who were detained. Certainly that number is much higher.

Fifth, I am making no judgement about whether the Xinjiang Daily report is true or not. But the Reuters reporter says the article says something that it does not say. He treats the article as a "fact," but he does not correctly represent the "facts" as stated by the article.

Finally, I posted this correction neither as an attack on the original poster nor as a defense of the Chinese. The responsibility for this article is with the Reuters reporter and his editors. If any of you want to attack me personally for trying to correct his errors, you can go right ahead. I will continue to work on behalf of your Uyghur brothers and sisters even if you choose not to show me any respect.

This is the last time I post to this web site.