PDA

View Full Version : What is the Uyghur identity?

Unregistered
15-01-06, 14:33
How would people in Xinjiang (East Turkistan) rate the following identities?
-Muslim
-Uyghur
-Turkic
-Chinese
-Communist

Unregistered
15-01-06, 14:52
http://www.uygur.org/images/zulum/camii_yasagik.jpg

Unregistered
15-01-06, 14:53
http://www.uygur.org/images/zulum/camii_yasagi.jpg

source: www.uygur.org

Unregistered
15-01-06, 14:54

Nime üchün ayallar mesjidke kirse bolmaydu? Ejaba ular adem emesmu? :(

Unregistered
15-01-06, 14:59
Ayallar mechitke kirse erlerning dikiti buzulup kitishi mumkin, lol!

uighur
15-01-06, 15:44
-Muslim
-Uyghur
-Turkic
-Chinese
-Communist

1. Uighur
2.Turkik
3.Muslim
non-chinese and non-communist

Unregistered
15-01-06, 18:52
1. Uighur
2.Turkik
3.Muslim
non-chinese and non-communist

Excellent answer! I am proundly surprised as the previous person added, "Chinese" and "Communist." Especially with the word of "Chinese."

In terms of race, culture, language and religous beliefs, the word of "Chinese" or the Chinese people are totally unrelated to the identity of the Uyghur people.

In my belief (It has never been changed and will not change), here are the important essence of the Uyghur identity:
1. Ethinc Race - in other words, the looks
In terms of race, we, the Uyghurs are caucasians. However, not all the cacasians are Uyghurs.
2. Culture. Culture includes language, communication style, beliefs and values and customs.. music.....etc. The culture is the unique part of the Uyghur identity. Uyghur culture are smiliar to other Turkic culture, however, our culture is very unique and that distguishes from other Turkic peoples. In terms of music, Uyghur music is quite different from other Turkic peoples' music.

3. Turkic: There are many Turkic peoples including the Turks of Turkey. In fact, Turks believe the Uyghurs are the real Turks. However, not all the Turkic people are the Uyghurs
4. Religion. Indeed, culture includes the religion. However, in terms of how the religion is practised among the Uyghur people or by looking at our religious history, I put religion last.

To me, in the modern history, Muslims include many diffferent ethnic groups including the Uyghur people. However, Uyghurs do not include Muslims. In other words, Muslim is a common term ( Ortak isim Uyghurchida) but Uyghur is a special name (has isim Uyghurchida). Therefore, Uyghurs can be Muslims but Muslims cannot be Uyghurs. There are millions of Muslims and they only talk about Muslims and they care nothing about other races.

I have seen a lot of discussions about the identity of the Uyghur people in many discussion boards and many people are very confused. To me, they are confused with the Ortak isim bilen Has Isim. Some of you, who are confused in those terms (ortak isim we has isim), then, I have to say, you did not study Uyghur grammar well when you were in elementary and middle school. What a shame!

I am of course an Uyghur who understand the identity of the Uyghur people and I do understand the struggle of the Uyghur people by my heart and that hurts me. However, I do not practise Islam. Why? In China, we were not allowed to practise. Now I live in a free country, however, I do not practise because I cannot relate myself with those Muslims from Arabic or Nothern African countries a lot. Their purpose is to practise Islam to be faithful to Islam and that is a good thing, of course. However, the current situation of the Uyghur people are very different. We have to save ourselves. We are in danger of losing our language and culture. Of course, I am not saying, we should not preserve our Islamic culture and we should definitly protect it. However, if we lose our unique Uyghur culture, then one one can create our culture, even the Muslims cannot. We cannot create Muslim together with all the Muslims, however, preserving the unique culture totally depends upon the hardwork and faith of the Uyghur people.

Thanks

Unregistered
15-01-06, 19:09
Nime üchün ayallar mesjidke kirse bolmaydu? Ejaba ular adem emesmu? :(

What a stupid rule! It seems like only dead people can practise Islam freely!

The government cannot prevend the deads from practising because ones they are dead, they cannot be labelled as :

1. Party or itpak members;
2. retirees;
3. underage;
4. women;
5. Village workers
6. Whatever name the Chinese claim......

If government do not permit those people from going to mosiques, then how many people do we have lelf who are allowed to go? 5%? 2% or more or less?

Unregistered
15-01-06, 20:31

Translation of the poster in the picture:

The following people are NOT allowed to enter the mosque to perform religious activities:

1. Party and Youth League members;
2. Government employees and retirees;
3. Young people under the age of 18;
4. Village cadres;
5. Women

Uyghur kiz
15-01-06, 20:56
My rating is: 1. TURK 2. MUSLIM PERIOD.

-Muslim
-Uyghur
-Turkic
-Chinese
-Communist

Islam.
16-01-06, 04:43
1. Muslim
2. Uyghur
3. Turkic.

Unregistered
16-01-06, 06:09
Hi, you r one of the excellent uyghur girl!

I agree to you...

Excellent answer! I am proundly surprised as the previous person added, "Chinese" and "Communist." Especially with the word of "Chinese."

In terms of race, culture, language and religous beliefs, the word of "Chinese" or the Chinese people are totally unrelated to the identity of the Uyghur people.

In my belief (It has never been changed and will not change), here are the important essence of the Uyghur identity:
In terms of race, we, the Uyghurs are caucasians. However, not all the cacasians are Uyghurs.
2. Culture. Culture includes language, communication style, beliefs and values and customs.. music.....etc. The culture is the unique part of the Uyghur identity. Uyghur culture are smiliar to other Turkic culture, however, our culture is very unique and that distguishes from other Turkic peoples. In terms of music, Uyghur music is quite different from other Turkic peoples' music.

3. Turkic: There are many Turkic peoples including the Turks of Turkey. In fact, Turks believe the Uyghurs are the real Turks. However, not all the Turkic people are the Uyghurs
4. Religion. Indeed, culture includes the religion. However, in terms of how the religion is practised among the Uyghur people or by looking at our religious history, I put religion last.

To me, in the modern history, Muslims include many diffferent ethnic groups including the Uyghur people. However, Uyghurs do not include Muslims. In other words, Muslim is a common term ( Ortak isim Uyghurchida) but Uyghur is a special name (has isim Uyghurchida). Therefore, Uyghurs can be Muslims but Muslims cannot be Uyghurs. There are millions of Muslims and they only talk about Muslims and they care nothing about other races.

I have seen a lot of discussions about the identity of the Uyghur people in many discussion boards and many people are very confused. To me, they are confused with the Ortak isim bilen Has Isim. Some of you, who are confused in those terms (ortak isim we has isim), then, I have to say, you did not study Uyghur grammar well when you were in elementary and middle school. What a shame!

I am of course an Uyghur who understand the identity of the Uyghur people and I do understand the struggle of the Uyghur people by my heart and that hurts me. However, I do not practise Islam. Why? In China, we were not allowed to practise. Now I live in a free country, however, I do not practise because I cannot relate myself with those Muslims from Arabic or Nothern African countries a lot. Their purpose is to practise Islam to be faithful to Islam and that is a good thing, of course. However, the current situation of the Uyghur people are very different. We have to save ourselves. We are in danger of losing our language and culture. Of course, I am not saying, we should not preserve our Islamic culture and we should definitly protect it. However, if we lose our unique Uyghur culture, then one one can create our culture, even the Muslims cannot. We cannot create Muslim together with all the Muslims, however, preserving the unique culture totally depends upon the hardwork and faith of the Uyghur people.

Thanks

Unregistered
16-01-06, 08:14
http://www.uygur.org/images/zulum/camii_yasagik.jpg

yukarki salahiyattikai kixilarning Jamigha kirixi qaklangan bolsa,qüxanmidim kaysi salahiyattikilarkirsa bolar?? bu amilai pakitni putun dunya halkigha taxwik kilix kerak!!

Uighur Ogli
16-01-06, 09:05

Thanks for the complement.

Very nice description of our uighur identity!!! most educated uighurs would agree with you, i believe.

I feel the same way as you mentioned about islam above. many uighurs i know do not strictly practice islam or don't practice at all, like you and me. but there is some thing deep in my heart that i want to practice islam like my parents and grand parents do. it is not possible for me to become a member of a religion other than islam.

i don't think you are rebellious against islam and i understand you want to preserve uighur culture. isn't it even great if we preseve the way our older generation practice religion, which is of course a part of uighur culture?

Uyghurman
16-01-06, 19:33
I disagree that Uyghurs are caucasian. While I understand people's desire to distance themselves from the Chinese, a typical Asian race, I cannot ignore that fact that Uyghur is a mixed race. If you walk on the streets on Urumchi and Kashgar you fill see all sorts of Uyghur faces from typical caucasian to typical Asian. If you ignore this fact, you fool no one but yourself. Most important lesson of life is to learn to accept yourself as who you are.

Unregistered
16-01-06, 21:37
I hear you. Uyghurs are Euroasian, not Caucasian.

I disagree that Uyghurs are caucasian. While I understand people's desire to distance themselves from the Chinese, a typical Asian race, I cannot ignore that fact that Uyghur is a mixed race. If you walk on the streets on Urumchi and Kashgar you fill see all sorts of Uyghur faces from typical caucasian to typical Asian. If you ignore this fact, you fool no one but yourself. Most important lesson of life is to learn to accept yourself as who you are.

Unregistered
16-01-06, 22:56
I hear you. Uyghurs are Euroasian, not Caucasian.

Eurasian? Caucasian? Uyghurs are first and foremost part of the HUMAN RACE! Then comes cultural identity.

Unregistered
16-01-06, 23:49
Thanks for the complement.

Very nice description of our uighur identity!!! most educated uighurs would agree with you, i believe.

I feel the same way as you mentioned about islam above. many uighurs i know do not strictly practice islam or don't practice at all, like you and me. but there is some thing deep in my heart that i want to practice islam like my parents and grand parents do. it is not possible for me to become a member of a religion other than islam.

i don't think you are rebellious against islam and i understand you want to preserve uighur culture. isn't it even great if we preseve the way our older generation practice religion, which is of course a part of uighur culture?

You are very welcome and thanks for compliments.

Unregistered
16-01-06, 23:54

Caucasian does not only look the appearance of a certain race, instead, it is race catagory by DNA . The word "caucasian" come from the area of caucus region. The Turks including the Uyghurs are the original people of caucus region and we grow up that mountain. Indeed, Europeans are causasian but they distinuish themselves from the caucus people.

Unregistered
17-01-06, 00:25
whatever! who cares!

Unregistered
17-01-06, 13:38
Now I live in a free country, however, I do not practise because I cannot relate myself with those Muslims from Arabic or Nothern African countries a lot.
Thanks

You don't have to relate yourself with those Muslims from Arabic or Northern African countries in order to be able to practice Islam in a free country. Probably you know, I hope, that Arab and Muslim are two entirely different terms, as Uyghur and Muslim are.

Uyghurman
17-01-06, 20:19
I do not know about you, but I grew up in Tarim Basin on the foot of Tangri Taghs, not up the Caucus Mountains. Based on history, ancestors of today's Uyghurs lived in Tarim Basin since the beginning of recordable times. Part of the ancient Uyghur tribe from outer Mongolia joined them around 840 to form the foundation of the modern Uyghur nation and passed down their ethnic name to us. I do not buy the Chinese claim that today's Uyghur is same as the ancient Uyghur tribe in the Orhon valley and that they migrated to "Xinjiang" after 840. My ancestors did not migrate from anywhere. They always lived in Tarim Basin.
Race catagory had existed long before the DNA era. It is based on certain body traits. If you take a good look at the mirror you will understand what I mean if you are an Uyghur. No offense intended.

Caucasian does not only look the appearance of a certain race, instead, it is race catagory by DNA . The word "caucasian" come from the area of caucus region. The Turks including the Uyghurs are the original people of caucus region and we grow up that mountain. Indeed, Europeans are causasian but they distinuish themselves from the caucus people.

Uyghurman
17-01-06, 20:29
I read an interesting article related to this topic on Yahoo today. A recent DNA study found that 8% of all males in Central Asia are descendants of Ghengiz Khan, a Mongol, the template for the Asian race. It did not mention if Uyghurs are included in the study though. Being Asian does not mean being Chinese. There are many different ethnic groups in the Asian race catagory. There is nothing wrong with being Asian. Again, we are a mixed race, maybe because of the invasion of Ghenghiz Khan.

Unregistered
18-01-06, 00:04
hmm, this is the first time I see a Uyghur man who is free of bias when it comes to national origion. :) Impressive! Unfortunately most of us have unbelievable national pride and perceived "purity" in terms of who we are and where we come from.

I read an interesting article related to this topic on Yahoo today. A recent DNA study found that 8% of all males in Central Asia are descendants of Ghengiz Khan, a Mongol, the template for the Asian race. It did not mention if Uyghurs are included in the study though. Being Asian does not mean being Chinese. There are many different ethnic groups in the Asian race catagory. There is nothing wrong with being Asian. Again, we are a mixed race, maybe because of the invasion of Ghenghiz Khan.

Unregistered
18-01-06, 08:00

I don't believe so called YAHOO article. what i believe is a scientific article published in a reputable academic journal. only these have at least some degree of scientific basis.

please show the link of your article to the uighurs if you really want others to believe your so called MIXED THEORY.

Uyghurman
18-01-06, 20:22
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/01/18/1137467024520.html

I don't believe so called YAHOO article. what i believe is a scientific article published in a reputable academic journal. only these have at least some degree of scientific basis.

please show the link of your article to the uighurs if you really want others to believe your so called MIXED THEORY.

Unregistered
19-01-06, 12:23
here's my rating:
1. turkic
2.muslim
3.uyghur
reasons:
no culture, no ethnic identity.so, the cultural idenity should come before the ethnic identity.

Uighur Scholar
20-01-06, 13:39
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/01/18/1137467024520.html
it is only a news article, still not convincing. what i need is the original academic article

RitaWL
21-12-11, 15:36
How do you make a lot of money ?

If you want to make money online, this is the place to be. Created by 'Super Affiliates' unique software and learning course is one of the most well know make money programs on the internet today.
Discover how you can tap into a billion dollar online advertising market and make $250-$1500 per day working from home.

You will find everything you need to start making money including a powerful money making guides, video tutorials, e-books.

How do you make a lot of money ? (http://www.archive.org/details/HowDoYouMakeALotOfMoney)
Stop wasting your time. Make a lot of money !