PDA

View Full Version : China frees 1,200 in Tibet, holds 700 over Xinjiang



Unregistered
14-08-09, 17:14
GENEVA — China said Monday that it has released more than 1,200 detainees held over unrest in Tibet last year while more than 700 people are still being held following last month's riots in Xinjiang.

"After the 1,231 suspects were punished, made to submit statements of repentance and educated by judicial authorities in Tibet, they were freed," Beijing said in a written reply to a UN hearing in Geneva on China's record on eliminating racial discrimination.

Some 77 others have been charged with serious offences such as burglary, arson and obstruction of justice, while seven others were charged with espionage.

Duan Jielong, who headed a 30-strong Chinese delegation at the UN hearing, confirmed Chinese media reports that police are still holding 718 people in connection with last month's violence in the northwest region of Xinjiang.

Duan told the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination that there is "evidence of criminal acts" for all of these suspects, while others who "committed minor offences have been dealt with leniently and released."

Another 83 people are facing charges of serious crimes, such as murder, arson and robbery.

In early July, the authorities said ethnic violence in Xinjiang left 197 people dead, most of them Han Chinese killed by angry mobs from China's Uighur minority.

Of those killed, 156 were "innocent people," said Duan. They included 134 who were of Han ethnic origin, 11 from the Hui minority, 10 Uighurs and one Manchurian.

The others were "rioters killed while committing criminal violence" or those whose identities have not yet been established, Duan said.

Non-governmental groups expressed doubts about the Chinese figures.

World Uighur Congress representative Omer Kanat described the death and injury toll given for the Xinjiang unrest as "not convincing."

"According to our information, (the) numbers of people who have been arrested are much higher than what Chinese authorities are claiming," Kanat told reporters in Geneva.

China said on the first day of the hearing on Friday that last year's unrest in Tibet and July's violence in Xinjiang were instigated by separatists abroad.

"Facts have fully shown that the two incidents were premeditated and organised crimes of violence, directed and instigated by separatists abroad and carried out by separatists inside China," Duan told the meeting on Friday.

Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved. More »

Unregistered
14-08-09, 23:32
Does this mean a policy change or strategy change? Release few Tibetans to please the media? Why not give the real autonomy to Tibetans. Today release, they can arrest tomorrow. Maybe they don't have enough police to deal with another demonstration in Tibet?

Why holding Uighur? They trying to differentiate the struggle of these two groups? Hu had visited other minority regions in China and had given speeches but not for Tibet and Uighur who suffered the most on their policy. He is preventing other minority group from standing up against them? If that happen, that will be a real crisis to them.

The impression to me is, they trying to isolate Uighur and continue their 'strike hard' policy on Uighurs, they will not change the core of their policy to any groups. They might change a few officers. Without changing on their policy, that is just fooling people.

Lead a tour to the foreign officers and show them some 'made up' story, so they can tape the media's mouth and continue their persecutions and execusions of detained Uighurs? We have to be alert, they had been successfully fooled people many times.

Unregistered
14-08-09, 23:40
That is the reason why the erase all the slogans from Wang, they just don't want the foreign officers see those 'strike hard slogans'. They are preparing?

Unregistered
14-08-09, 23:58
How they knew all of those 156 people were innocent? They have evidences for that?