PDA

View Full Version : Saving Kashghar

Kekenus Sidik
03-07-09, 11:47
Saving Kashghar

A piece of history is being slowly erased, a culture is evaporating, an identity is fading, a nation is being annihilated, and millions are dying. All of this is happening now and has been happening for over half a century. Yet, the majority of the people in the world are completely oblivious. Among those that are aware are the ones who commit the crimes themselves, the ones who deny the existence of such atrocities, and the ones that genuinely care enough to help. Does it not seem unthinkable that such preventable things have been occurring for so long and continue to take place today? Has humanity been so corrupted that money and power take precedence over human lives? It seems that the world is on a fast track to deterioration in all aspects and I will not be so naïve to presume that we can stop it. But we can impede the inevitable to the best of our abilities.

I am an Uighur. However, this is not about the Uighurs at Guantanamo Bay. This is about the Uighurs in China, specifically about the Uighurs in Kashghar. For those of you who are still unaware of whom the Uighurs are, allow me to present you a brief introduction.
The Uighurs are an ethnic minority in China. I am from Uighuristan (East Turkistan), a country that was colonized by China in 1949 and has been suffering under oppression and countless human rights violations enacted by the government ever since. My family is among the many that have suffered under this totalitarian regime. My father spent 10 years and my mother spent 6 years in prison for their political and human rights actions. My two brothers are in prison and half of my family is barred from leaving China, for the continuation of such actions in America. I have come to the realization that I may never see them again; they seem more like dreams to me now than the people I loved and laughed with years ago.

However, this is not just about my family and I. This is about the fate of all Uighurs and how you can play a part in changing it for the sake of humanity, for the sake of freedom, and for the sake of justice. This is about saving the Old City of Kashghar in order to have the chance to save an entire nation of people.

I recently read an article entitled “To Protect an Ancient City, China Moves to Raze It,” by Michael Wines and it awakened me from the normalcy I had grown accustomed to. The article states the current condition and the future fate of Kashghar and the Chinese government’s plan to demolish it for reasons it claims as being honorable. Kashghar is one of our oldest cities and its Old City boasts “the best-preserved example of a traditional Islamic city to be found anywhere in central Asia.” The government claims that it will preserve its culture and history by demolishing it now in order to better withstand earthquakes later. This, of course, is a blatant lie. The sad irony is that they are destroying culture in the name of preserving culture. The Chinese government’s aim is not to preserve our culture but to destroy it altogether. According to the article, Kashghar’s vice mayor, Xu Jianrong holds steadfastly to the claim that their purpose is to “preserve Uighur culture,” and that Kashghar is a “special area in danger of earthquakes.” Indeed, earthquakes occur quite often in Kashghar. In fact, the last major earthquake occurred over a century ago. Surely it will strike any day now. But the Chinese government does not want to wait until an earthquake strikes and destroys parts of our beautiful culture. They would like to beat the earthquake to the task and destroy the entire city themselves more thoroughly than an earthquake ever could, in order to build a new super city completely immune to natural disasters and entirely devoid of Uighur culture.

Mr. Xu asks: “What country’s government would not protect its citizens from the dangers of natural disaster?” Well, Mr. Xu seems to be under a terrible misconception here. It is true that a normal, democratic government would protect its citizens from the dangers of natural disasters, but the Chinese government is quite unique and certainly not democratic. While most other governments would strive to protect its citizens, including its ethnic minorities, the Chinese government strives for the exact opposite regarding its ethnic minorities: annihilation. The real danger that the Uighurs in Kashghar need to be protected from does not come in the form of natural disasters once a century, but rather comes directly from the government itself in the form of genocide.

The article states that the project is strongly supported by those high in government who are willing to spend $440 million for the city’s demise. Why such desperation? Because Kashghar is one of our oldest cities and a major symbol of Uighur culture and identity. I would be disappointed if the Chinese government were to overlook such a symbol of Uighur spirit, ripe for destruction. The city, according to the article, claims that they have consulted with the Uighurs living there. These “consultations” are merely for giving incentives to leave early and threatening those that may leave too late.

Also, Communist Party officials are apparently so shaken by the prospect of an earthquake that it is “disturbing their rest.” I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at this. Apparently, the “rest” of Party officials is far more important and fragile than a thousand years worth of culture and history.

The article also demonstrates China’s use of excessive propaganda. They give 15-minute infomercials showing happily dancing Uighurs talking about the wonderful benefits of destroying a city in an effort to eradicate a nation, such things you could only read about in dystopian novels. But this is not a work of fiction. This is reality. The Chinese government has used propaganda to aid its totalitarian regime for years now, and are either getting better at it or needing to use it less. Between the two, I ardently hope that it is the former, for it would be a sad day indeed when people start to accept the conditions of their fate without question. The Chinese government has perfected propaganda into an art form so beautiful that it would be the envy of any dictator, contemporary or otherwise.

I am willing to give my life for this cause, what are you willing to do? We are not asking for your life, we are asking for your voices, your sympathy, and your words. Without shedding a single drop of blood or even losing a penny, you can do more with your voice than what my body could ever do.

This project is but one, albeit extremely crucial, step in a grand scheme to not only eliminate an entire nation of people, but to eliminate their culture, their identity, and even their history as well. Through this system, without intervention, all will cease to exist, including the name ‘Uighur.' It would be as if we never existed. This is the nightmare that I have always feared. This situation in particular struck a chord with me because of its purpose and the boldness with which the government proposed it. The Chinese government does not simply want to kill our people, it wants to murder who we are, our very essence. It wants to erase us from history altogether, and destroying one of our oldest and most important cities would be like cutting us at our roots. And this is what I fear the most; I fear that this will be the end of us, both in name and body and that we will ultimately be forgotten. This is not just a demolition of buildings, this is a murder of flesh and blood, the destruction of an ancient culture, and the eradication of a part of history, a part that may not mean anything to you, but means more than the world to me and to millions of other Uighurs.

This is an urgent plea for help, and we are not ashamed to ask it of you. We have been silently but constantly fighting and struggling, but to no avail. Due to the unfortunate current world circumstances, we are in a precarious position. However moderate, we are still Muslims in a world wracked with fear of terrorists where Islam is almost synonymous with terrorism in the eyes of many. The Chinese government does not neglect to take advantage of this for its own benefit at the cost of innocent Uighur lives. We unfortunately take a back seat to the global financial crisis that is proving to be a huge disadvantage because those that can help us are heavily indebted to those who are willing to spend billions to destroy us, simply because of our ethnicity. Please do not let us suffer in silence. Silence can be more deadly than the most dangerous of governments. We all know of the horrible consequences of silence, ignorance, or turning a blind eye to injustice: the systematic murder of millions of people. One turns a blind eye to a child stealing a cookie before dinner, one turns a blind eye to a friend’s unconscious insult, one even turns a blind eye to betrayal at the hands of a loved one, but one cannot, one absolutely must not turn a blind eye to genocide, the deprivation of freedom, and the violation of human rights. One must look, however unpleasant it may be, one must look and immediately take action for its halt and its future prevention. We have been ignored for far too long. We have been cheated, murdered, raped, violated, deprived, betrayed, sold, discarded, and tortured for far too long. So we ask you, no we beg you with all our hearts and souls for your help.
It is a matter of fact that we are dying at a quicker and more drastic rate than almost any other oppressed nation in the world. We are at the top of the endangered ethnicities list for various reasons: we are few in number, the rate of our genocide would alarm even the most hardened of human rights activists, the relatively little attention we receive from the international community and what little we have received has been lately negative due to China’s exorbitant use of venomous propaganda, and China as a world power and the sad truth of the fear other nations have of China’s wrath and their allowance of such fears to rule their actions or lack thereof in our case. Logically speaking, it would seem that we are the ones in need of the most immediate help and ironically the ones who receive the least of said help.

Time is running out. The process has already begun. We are only lucky enough to have found out this late due to China’s growing boldness in the face of the international community when dealing with human rights issues. So time is slipping away and our culture is diminishing as you read this. In the amount of time it takes you to finish reading this, a home that has withstood the tests of time and nature (including earthquakes) will likely have been completely demolished by the force and hatred of the Chinese government under the false guise of cultural preservation.

We are not asking for your soldiers, we are not asking for your weapons, we are not asking for money, all we are asking for is your voice. Speak up in the name of justice and liberty.

It may be difficult to care, let alone speak up, since you do not see us or hear us. We are but distant stories and dreamlike entities, therefore seems unreal to you. But it is real. It is real to millions of suffering Uighurs. It is real to the people who will lose their homes in Kashghar in which their families have lived for generations; it is real to the starved children whose parents have lost jobs due to forced relocation; it is real to the young daughters who will be sent to inner cities with promises of employment but instead are sold into prostitution never to see their loved ones again; it is real to the millions that die after daring to protest or even to question the worst injustices that have ever been committed upon humanity; it is real to the fathers rotting in prison for teaching their children principles, values, and morals; it is real to the mothers who watch helplessly from the hospital beds as their newborn children are injected with poison and killed; it is real to the millions of unborn children as a result of forced abortion; it is real to the millions of growing children being taught to forget their identities by depriving them of their native language, of their freedom of religion, and of their right to the truth; it is real to my family and it is real to me.

The spirit of my nation needs to be revived, a task that is difficult but not impossible. It is dangling dangerously on the edge of what little hope they have left. One fierce blow and it will be gone, never to return again. Such a blow will surely come from the destruction of Kashghar, which is one of the few things left keeping the spirit, the culture, and the identity of my people alive. If Kashghar is destroyed, the Uighurs will be completely bereft of hope and with that all will be lost.

I used to wonder, before finally seeing it, how the leaders of the free world react to and treat Hu Jintao when they meet him. They smile warmly, shake hands jovially, and joke as if they had been long-lost friends. I watch in disgust. Do they not stop and think that they are smiling warmly at a man responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent lives, do they not stop to think that they are shaking hands with a man who is ruthlessly and systematically destroying an entire nation of people simply because of their ethnicity, and do they not stop to think that they are laughing with a man who blatantly lies to their faces as well as to the rest of the international community about its human rights violations, conscious of the fact of not only his lies but also of the fact of his knowledge that these leaders are aware of his lies and yet they continue to smile and laugh with him. Why do they not jump back in disgust and reprimand him for his actions? No, they cannot do that, for it would not be proper and it would certainly not be polite. I watch in disgust. But at the end of the day, it is diplomacy; it is politics—filthy and unforgiving under the guise of peace and justice. But for once, just this once, can we not set aside politics and help our fellow human beings when they need it the most.

So again, we beseech you to help. Fellow Americans, such a thing as oppression should sound familiar to a nation who themselves have fought against racism and inequality, a nation who fought for freedom from an oppressive and more powerful country, and a nation who struggled against its own for the sake of emancipation and the civil rights of blacks and women. Americans of all people should know what oppression truly is. So speak up and remind us again of the very foundations of this country who dared and never feared to stand up for justice. Give us your voice, loud and clear, as loud as Patrick Henry’s demand for either liberty or death, as loud as Rosa Park’s refusal to give up her seat, and as loud as Martin Luther King, Jr.’s dream.

Any help from the UN is more than welcome as well. In fact, it is obligatory if there is any truth to what they claim to stand for and what they preach. However, it is blaringly and embarrassingly obvious that China abuses its power as a permanent member of the Security Council to silence all opposition both from within and without.

Fellow Uighurs, continue your fight and speak up as well. Assist in any way you can and as much as you can those that are willing to assist us.

We ask for help from the rest of the international community as well. Do not fear the bully, speak up, and stand up for what is truly right rather than what those in power dictate to be right.

Again, we ask for your help. So please, say a word, write a letter, petition, give us a mention, some sincere thought, time, and effort and I promise you it will be powerful enough to go as far as China and reach the hearts of the Uighurs in Kashghar and if done immediately it may even reach them in time to save their homes and preserve one of the oldest cities in all of Asia. With your help, we can give back lost hope and by saving Kashghar and its residents, we may even have a chance at saving millions.

By Kekenus Sidik

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/world/asia/28kashgar.html

Unregistered
08-07-09, 17:11
Guys, kneel down to those western countries and beg for help will not work!!!! What do you want them to do? Give you money or weapons for you to fight against Chinese like what they did to support Osama Bin laden????? Or you expect those countries will send military to China to fight for you like Vietnam War? If you want vocal support, they've already done that. So what else you want them to do?

In the term of "National Interest", no countries will want to or dare to confront with china in this issue.

"if you don't like it here, leave!". I heard this a lot since i move to US for 17 years ago.

Same to you!

Unregistered
08-07-09, 17:36
Guys, kneel down to those western countries and beg for help will not work!!!! What do you want them to do? Give you money or weapons for you to fight against Chinese like what they did to support Osama Bin laden????? Or you expect those countries will send military to China to fight for you like Vietnam War? If you want vocal support, they've already done that. So what else you want them to do?

In the term of "National Interest", no countries will want to or dare to confront with china in this issue.

"if you don't like it here, leave!". I heard this a lot since i move to US for 17 years ago.

Same to you!

What do you want to do then? Waiting for the last day of your life or the last day of all the Uyghurs? Or waiting for the Chinese ruling the whole world? If people don't hear your voice, today or tomorrow, you still have to make your voice heard sooner or later.

This kind of comment is not useful at all, particularly at this time. When you are suffering, another fellow human being's shedding a tear for you is much better than waiting for dying.

How about Darfur and Tibet? Aren't people at least sympathetic and supporting their cases? You cannot fight alone, there must be other people at least supporting your case, even if you choose to fight alone. Therefore it is better not to make such a comment. We human beings need to support each other, regardless race or nationalities. There should be justice in this world.

civitas
09-07-09, 22:19

Same to you!

I do not expect any of them to fight our battles. At this point in time, I will be happy with weapons. Atleast my people can fight back. The Chinese will know that we are not weak like the Tibetans.

Unregistered
23-07-09, 16:52
http://www.savekashgar.com/

Unregistered
23-07-09, 21:33
This is the willing that have to be expressed. Your friends in your hometown who do not speak in English will appraciate. Chinese don't want to listen, but many others in this globe would. This is not call for army or money support. But, a feeling shared with who can feel. A willing that make chinese shame on. Maybe they don't know what is a shame yet.

Unregistered
08-08-09, 00:46
Uyghurs are not ethnic minority in China, they are ethnic nations in East Turkistan.

Saving Kashghar

A piece of history is being slowly erased, a culture is evaporating, an identity is fading, a nation is being annihilated, and millions are dying. All of this is happening now and has been happening for over half a century. Yet, the majority of the people in the world are completely oblivious. Among those that are aware are the ones who commit the crimes themselves, the ones who deny the existence of such atrocities, and the ones that genuinely care enough to help. Does it not seem unthinkable that such preventable things have been occurring for so long and continue to take place today? Has humanity been so corrupted that money and power take precedence over human lives? It seems that the world is on a fast track to deterioration in all aspects and I will not be so naïve to presume that we can stop it. But we can impede the inevitable to the best of our abilities.

I am an Uighur. However, this is not about the Uighurs at Guantanamo Bay. This is about the Uighurs in China, specifically about the Uighurs in Kashghar. For those of you who are still unaware of whom the Uighurs are, allow me to present you a brief introduction.
The Uighurs are an ethnic minority in China. I am from Uighuristan (East Turkistan), a country that was colonized by China in 1949 and has been suffering under oppression and countless human rights violations enacted by the government ever since. My family is among the many that have suffered under this totalitarian regime. My father spent 10 years and my mother spent 6 years in prison for their political and human rights actions. My two brothers are in prison and half of my family is barred from leaving China, for the continuation of such actions in America. I have come to the realization that I may never see them again; they seem more like dreams to me now than the people I loved and laughed with years ago.

However, this is not just about my family and I. This is about the fate of all Uighurs and how you can play a part in changing it for the sake of humanity, for the sake of freedom, and for the sake of justice. This is about saving the Old City of Kashghar in order to have the chance to save an entire nation of people.

I recently read an article entitled “To Protect an Ancient City, China Moves to Raze It,” by Michael Wines and it awakened me from the normalcy I had grown accustomed to. The article states the current condition and the future fate of Kashghar and the Chinese government’s plan to demolish it for reasons it claims as being honorable. Kashghar is one of our oldest cities and its Old City boasts “the best-preserved example of a traditional Islamic city to be found anywhere in central Asia.” The government claims that it will preserve its culture and history by demolishing it now in order to better withstand earthquakes later. This, of course, is a blatant lie. The sad irony is that they are destroying culture in the name of preserving culture. The Chinese government’s aim is not to preserve our culture but to destroy it altogether. According to the article, Kashghar’s vice mayor, Xu Jianrong holds steadfastly to the claim that their purpose is to “preserve Uighur culture,” and that Kashghar is a “special area in danger of earthquakes.” Indeed, earthquakes occur quite often in Kashghar. In fact, the last major earthquake occurred over a century ago. Surely it will strike any day now. But the Chinese government does not want to wait until an earthquake strikes and destroys parts of our beautiful culture. They would like to beat the earthquake to the task and destroy the entire city themselves more thoroughly than an earthquake ever could, in order to build a new super city completely immune to natural disasters and entirely devoid of Uighur culture.

Mr. Xu asks: “What country’s government would not protect its citizens from the dangers of natural disaster?” Well, Mr. Xu seems to be under a terrible misconception here. It is true that a normal, democratic government would protect its citizens from the dangers of natural disasters, but the Chinese government is quite unique and certainly not democratic. While most other governments would strive to protect its citizens, including its ethnic minorities, the Chinese government strives for the exact opposite regarding its ethnic minorities: annihilation. The real danger that the Uighurs in Kashghar need to be protected from does not come in the form of natural disasters once a century, but rather comes directly from the government itself in the form of genocide.

The article states that the project is strongly supported by those high in government who are willing to spend $440 million for the city’s demise. Why such desperation? Because Kashghar is one of our oldest cities and a major symbol of Uighur culture and identity. I would be disappointed if the Chinese government were to overlook such a symbol of Uighur spirit, ripe for destruction. The city, according to the article, claims that they have consulted with the Uighurs living there. These “consultations” are merely for giving incentives to leave early and threatening those that may leave too late.

Also, Communist Party officials are apparently so shaken by the prospect of an earthquake that it is “disturbing their rest.” I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at this. Apparently, the “rest” of Party officials is far more important and fragile than a thousand years worth of culture and history.

The article also demonstrates China’s use of excessive propaganda. They give 15-minute infomercials showing happily dancing Uighurs talking about the wonderful benefits of destroying a city in an effort to eradicate a nation, such things you could only read about in dystopian novels. But this is not a work of fiction. This is reality. The Chinese government has used propaganda to aid its totalitarian regime for years now, and are either getting better at it or needing to use it less. Between the two, I ardently hope that it is the former, for it would be a sad day indeed when people start to accept the conditions of their fate without question. The Chinese government has perfected propaganda into an art form so beautiful that it would be the envy of any dictator, contemporary or otherwise.

I am willing to give my life for this cause, what are you willing to do? We are not asking for your life, we are asking for your voices, your sympathy, and your words. Without shedding a single drop of blood or even losing a penny, you can do more with your voice than what my body could ever do.

This project is but one, albeit extremely crucial, step in a grand scheme to not only eliminate an entire nation of people, but to eliminate their culture, their identity, and even their history as well. Through this system, without intervention, all will cease to exist, including the name ‘Uighur.' It would be as if we never existed. This is the nightmare that I have always feared. This situation in particular struck a chord with me because of its purpose and the boldness with which the government proposed it. The Chinese government does not simply want to kill our people, it wants to murder who we are, our very essence. It wants to erase us from history altogether, and destroying one of our oldest and most important cities would be like cutting us at our roots. And this is what I fear the most; I fear that this will be the end of us, both in name and body and that we will ultimately be forgotten. This is not just a demolition of buildings, this is a murder of flesh and blood, the destruction of an ancient culture, and the eradication of a part of history, a part that may not mean anything to you, but means more than the world to me and to millions of other Uighurs.

This is an urgent plea for help, and we are not ashamed to ask it of you. We have been silently but constantly fighting and struggling, but to no avail. Due to the unfortunate current world circumstances, we are in a precarious position. However moderate, we are still Muslims in a world wracked with fear of terrorists where Islam is almost synonymous with terrorism in the eyes of many. The Chinese government does not neglect to take advantage of this for its own benefit at the cost of innocent Uighur lives. We unfortunately take a back seat to the global financial crisis that is proving to be a huge disadvantage because those that can help us are heavily indebted to those who are willing to spend billions to destroy us, simply because of our ethnicity. Please do not let us suffer in silence. Silence can be more deadly than the most dangerous of governments. We all know of the horrible consequences of silence, ignorance, or turning a blind eye to injustice: the systematic murder of millions of people. One turns a blind eye to a child stealing a cookie before dinner, one turns a blind eye to a friend’s unconscious insult, one even turns a blind eye to betrayal at the hands of a loved one, but one cannot, one absolutely must not turn a blind eye to genocide, the deprivation of freedom, and the violation of human rights. One must look, however unpleasant it may be, one must look and immediately take action for its halt and its future prevention. We have been ignored for far too long. We have been cheated, murdered, raped, violated, deprived, betrayed, sold, discarded, and tortured for far too long. So we ask you, no we beg you with all our hearts and souls for your help.
It is a matter of fact that we are dying at a quicker and more drastic rate than almost any other oppressed nation in the world. We are at the top of the endangered ethnicities list for various reasons: we are few in number, the rate of our genocide would alarm even the most hardened of human rights activists, the relatively little attention we receive from the international community and what little we have received has been lately negative due to China’s exorbitant use of venomous propaganda, and China as a world power and the sad truth of the fear other nations have of China’s wrath and their allowance of such fears to rule their actions or lack thereof in our case. Logically speaking, it would seem that we are the ones in need of the most immediate help and ironically the ones who receive the least of said help.

Time is running out. The process has already begun. We are only lucky enough to have found out this late due to China’s growing boldness in the face of the international community when dealing with human rights issues. So time is slipping away and our culture is diminishing as you read this. In the amount of time it takes you to finish reading this, a home that has withstood the tests of time and nature (including earthquakes) will likely have been completely demolished by the force and hatred of the Chinese government under the false guise of cultural preservation.

We are not asking for your soldiers, we are not asking for your weapons, we are not asking for money, all we are asking for is your voice. Speak up in the name of justice and liberty.

It may be difficult to care, let alone speak up, since you do not see us or hear us. We are but distant stories and dreamlike entities, therefore seems unreal to you. But it is real. It is real to millions of suffering Uighurs. It is real to the people who will lose their homes in Kashghar in which their families have lived for generations; it is real to the starved children whose parents have lost jobs due to forced relocation; it is real to the young daughters who will be sent to inner cities with promises of employment but instead are sold into prostitution never to see their loved ones again; it is real to the millions that die after daring to protest or even to question the worst injustices that have ever been committed upon humanity; it is real to the fathers rotting in prison for teaching their children principles, values, and morals; it is real to the mothers who watch helplessly from the hospital beds as their newborn children are injected with poison and killed; it is real to the millions of unborn children as a result of forced abortion; it is real to the millions of growing children being taught to forget their identities by depriving them of their native language, of their freedom of religion, and of their right to the truth; it is real to my family and it is real to me.

The spirit of my nation needs to be revived, a task that is difficult but not impossible. It is dangling dangerously on the edge of what little hope they have left. One fierce blow and it will be gone, never to return again. Such a blow will surely come from the destruction of Kashghar, which is one of the few things left keeping the spirit, the culture, and the identity of my people alive. If Kashghar is destroyed, the Uighurs will be completely bereft of hope and with that all will be lost.

I used to wonder, before finally seeing it, how the leaders of the free world react to and treat Hu Jintao when they meet him. They smile warmly, shake hands jovially, and joke as if they had been long-lost friends. I watch in disgust. Do they not stop and think that they are smiling warmly at a man responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent lives, do they not stop to think that they are shaking hands with a man who is ruthlessly and systematically destroying an entire nation of people simply because of their ethnicity, and do they not stop to think that they are laughing with a man who blatantly lies to their faces as well as to the rest of the international community about its human rights violations, conscious of the fact of not only his lies but also of the fact of his knowledge that these leaders are aware of his lies and yet they continue to smile and laugh with him. Why do they not jump back in disgust and reprimand him for his actions? No, they cannot do that, for it would not be proper and it would certainly not be polite. I watch in disgust. But at the end of the day, it is diplomacy; it is politics—filthy and unforgiving under the guise of peace and justice. But for once, just this once, can we not set aside politics and help our fellow human beings when they need it the most.

So again, we beseech you to help. Fellow Americans, such a thing as oppression should sound familiar to a nation who themselves have fought against racism and inequality, a nation who fought for freedom from an oppressive and more powerful country, and a nation who struggled against its own for the sake of emancipation and the civil rights of blacks and women. Americans of all people should know what oppression truly is. So speak up and remind us again of the very foundations of this country who dared and never feared to stand up for justice. Give us your voice, loud and clear, as loud as Patrick Henry’s demand for either liberty or death, as loud as Rosa Park’s refusal to give up her seat, and as loud as Martin Luther King, Jr.’s dream.

Any help from the UN is more than welcome as well. In fact, it is obligatory if there is any truth to what they claim to stand for and what they preach. However, it is blaringly and embarrassingly obvious that China abuses its power as a permanent member of the Security Council to silence all opposition both from within and without.

Fellow Uighurs, continue your fight and speak up as well. Assist in any way you can and as much as you can those that are willing to assist us.

We ask for help from the rest of the international community as well. Do not fear the bully, speak up, and stand up for what is truly right rather than what those in power dictate to be right.

Again, we ask for your help. So please, say a word, write a letter, petition, give us a mention, some sincere thought, time, and effort and I promise you it will be powerful enough to go as far as China and reach the hearts of the Uighurs in Kashghar and if done immediately it may even reach them in time to save their homes and preserve one of the oldest cities in all of Asia. With your help, we can give back lost hope and by saving Kashghar and its residents, we may even have a chance at saving millions.

By Kekenus Sidik

Unregistered
08-08-09, 22:26
the solusion is:
people move out, Govnment repair the house firm enough then people move back. Govenment care and worried, they should pay it. is that the real concern and solusion?

Unregistered
09-08-09, 22:25
To do this, that depend on Nuer Bakeri, if he love Uighur and love Uighur culture, he have to. The act is not anti ccp. We will see what kind of Uighur he is. If he don't, that is realy hard and we definitely could make a conclusion that he do not care Uighur and all what he had done and his policy is to destroy Ughur.

the solusion is:
people move out, Govnment repair the house firm enough then people move back. Govenment care and worried, they should pay it. is that the real concern and solusion?

Unregistered
12-08-09, 22:54
the solusion is:

There is only one solution: kick out chinks from East Turkstan! We have to and We will!

Unregistered
13-08-09, 12:23
This is like a man exucuted 'atom bomb' attack to a civilization. If they don't stop it, I agree, another solusion might need to carry out.

There is only one solution: kick out chinks from East Turkstan! We have to and We will!

Unregistered
13-08-09, 22:01
your signiture needed to the UN petition to save Kashgar

http://www.savekashgar.com/

Unregistered
04-09-09, 14:51
nobody like the people who occupied their land and dictator them. Uighur is a little weak in 1949, otherwise will never let chinese take over their land. of course, uighur don't like people who are bad on them and the liers.

Kashkarlik
08-09-09, 15:57
ulumtuk Kashkarliklar mushundak mawjud bolup turidikan, Kashkar gumran bolidu !

Karanglar Ghulja, Aksu, Hotan, Kumul, Chuchak, Altay, Urimqi .... arka - arkidin Hitaygha karshi kozghaldi, kan tukti, bibaha janlarni watan-millat uchun pida kildi !!!!!!!

Garcha Kashkarliklarning sani kop bolsimu, amaliyatta Kashkarliklar watan - yurut - millat ular hech bir ishni kilghini zadila yok !

hitay jasuslirining eng yengi malumatigha asaslan'ghanda Kashkarliklarni bashkurushka kop kuch katmasmish, chunki nuwatta Kashkarliklarning zor kupchiligi hitayning podakchilirimish, hitayning tashwikatchilirimish, hitayning jasuslirimish, hetta Kashkarliklarni hitaylar eshak kilip minsimu ular hosh bolarmish, emma bashka Uyghurlargha nisbatan Kashkarliklar koz - kulakmish, jasusmish ..... hettaki Kashkarda Taksiy heydawatkan Kashkarliklar bashka yuruttin Kashkarga kalgan Uyghurlarni kurup kalsimu darhal hitay jasuslirigha, sakchilirigha malumat yatkuzup, ashu bichara Uyghurning Kashkarga kelip kalghinigha toyduruwetarmish .......

hainlar nadin chikiwatidu? - Kashkarliklardin chikiwatidu !

Kashkarliklar chat-aldimu yanila uzgargini yok, ular hetta uzlirini kutuldurushka tirishmaywatsa, undakta yana kimlar Kashkarni kutulduridu?

Kashkarliklar adamdak yashanglar, agar hemmanglar bir - birlap dowzakka beriwarsanglar, dowzaktiki bashka gunakar bandilarmu silardin bizar bolup katmisun ....

Oyghan Kashkarlik .............

Saving Kashghar

By Kekenus Sidik

uyghur 4ever
13-09-09, 00:58
To do this, that depend on Nuer Bakeri, if he love Uighur and love Uighur culture, he have to. The act is not anti ccp. We will see what kind of Uighur he is. If he don't, that is realy hard and we definitely could make a conclusion that he do not care Uighur and all what he had done and his policy is to destroy Ughur.

It depends on Nuer Bakeri???? oh plz. He doesn't have any role or control over anything
o digan ber yaghax kunqak pakat. "If he love Uighur and love Uighur culture he have to" do you think he would????????? Its silly to think that the TRAITOR nurbakri would do something about it.
He is one of the China's propogandist. oningden umut kutkanlik bernim kilamikin diganlik o pakat ber ahmahlik dap karayma

agar o militem digan bosa 5th June diki wakalarda Uighur ni karlimayti aksiqa he would've stand up for the Uighurs but he didn't. what makes you think he would?
You might say: adam digan hatalixidigho omo Human being tursa daydighansez but he is the WORST ONE EVER . He is a BETRAYER.
Kan bilan kirgan huy jan bilan qikido dap we shouldn't be depend on him he wound't do anything anyways and he won't change. :-(

Unregistered
13-09-09, 05:30
The goal is saving old Kashgar, should try anyone could change the situation including animals.
I am not 100% sure if he can't or not willing to. He might not have the power by himself alone. He can ask the previous Uighur 'chairmans' in Beijing for help. If all of them oppose the demolision together, and suggest for repairing, that might work! The biggest thing that he can do for Uighur with his position maybe is this one. If he would not, as the fact is turning out since there is no sign that he is trying, he is not only a traitor but guilty criminal for Uighur and all the Turks. He should be written into the text book to educate every Turk that he is responsible to the ruining of the ancient cultural center of all the Turks and the world.
At least as a joke, we should able to throw shoes on him and his boss if they visit somewhere in islamic culture. Let him feel the shame if he can't feel it by himself. I feel sorry for him. He do not have a heart for a suggestion, and he don't have a pennis to straight up! If I were him, I might have resigned because of the shame.

It depends on Nuer Bakeri???? oh plz. He doesn't have any role or control over anything
o digan ber yaghax kunqak pakat. "If he love Uighur and love Uighur culture he have to" do you think he would????????? Its silly to think that the TRAITOR nurbakri would do something about it.
He is one of the China's propogandist. oningden umut kutkanlik bernim kilamikin diganlik o pakat ber ahmahlik dap karayma

agar o militem digan bosa 5th June diki wakalarda Uighur ni karlimayti aksiqa he would've stand up for the Uighurs but he didn't. what makes you think he would?
You might say: adam digan hatalixidigho omo Human being tursa daydighansez but he is the WORST ONE EVER . He is a BETRAYER.
Kan bilan kirgan huy jan bilan qikido dap we shouldn't be depend on him he wound't do anything anyways and he won't change. :-(

Uighur 4 life
14-09-09, 09:57
I did an oral presentation for one of my major assignments about Kashgar and its situations There were 3 Chinese in my class. When I did the presentation their faces turned into something that you wouldn't be able to describe..It feels so good though
They complained about it to the school counsellor becuase just before doing the presentation about Kashgar I showed some pics that the Chinese eating babies and stuff to my classmates and even some tearchers so I was called to see the school counsellor and she gave me a lecture for an hour about all those crap as if its going to change me in some ways. The counsellor wasn't really aware of what was happening in East Turkistan and so on, so I gave her some lecture as well :) about ET and the situation the Uighurs facing by the chinese and so on.
I think we should try in any ways possible to tell the world that there is a nation under occupation and raise awarness of Uighurs plight.
Here...watch this. This was on TV and at the end of my speech I recommended all the students in my class to watch it. If you haven't seen it you might like to see it.

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2009/s2639008.htm

Unregistered
14-09-09, 10:40
Hiqtaila ix tapalmay,chattaldimu uyghurlarni yurtwazliq qilip oz ara soqaxturux uchun harkat qilwatqan ohxaydu!!!!,millitini soygan uyghur bolsa towandi maqallni yazmighan bolatti,
Towandikini yazghan hiytai qashqarda bolghan tarihi ixlani taza bilmaydighan ohxaydu!!!!!
Hazir vatanning hamma yerida iplas hiqtaigha qarxi harkatla bomaqta!!!!!!

[QUOTE=Kashkarlik;66991]ulumtuk Kashkarliklar mushundak mawjud bolup turidikan, Kashkar gumran bolidu !

Unregistered
14-09-09, 11:06
Dunyaning kayaride Uyghurlargha ohxax yurtwazlik bar? sen kaysu davirde yaxawatisen? Tash korallar deviridimu?

Hitaylar Kashkarni yokutux arkilik barlik Uyghurlarni yokutmakqi... dep baka, kaysu Uyghurlarning xahiri Kashkarge ohxax kona? Aksumu? Hotenmu? Turpanmu? Ghuljimu?
Yene bir gep, sen Kashkardin bolak baxkha harkandak xaharge barsang, Hitayning u xaharlerde koplikini his kelisan... Birak Kashkharda yenila Uyghurlar kop sanni igelleydu...

Kashkarni kutkuzux Kashkarlikningla ixi amas, u putun Uyghurlarning, putun Turki milletlerining ixi!!! Ittipaklaxmisak, Kashkarni hargizmu saklap kalalmaymiz!!!

Uyghurlar amdi box kalse kati bolmaydu... Putun dunyaning hammila yeride, watan iqide, sertida bolsun qokum Hitaygha karxi kurexni elip berix kirek... Buni bu tonguzlar uz yurtimizdin tal tukus qikimighiqe tohtatmaslik kirek!!!

Qokum ittipaklixidighan kuqler bilen ittipaklixix kirek, Roslar, Turkler, Hindistanliklarning amal bar Harbi hem maddi yardemini kolgha kalturup uz armiyerimizni kurup watinimizni azat keliximiz kirek!!! Watan azat kelixni bu ketim janup taraptin baxlisak bolidu... U jaylarda Uyghurlar jik... Koral yarakning noqisini Amerika bilen Roslardin setivalsak bolidu...

Qokum ittipaklixip plan bilen ix kelip bu ableh, adem kelipidin qikkan Hitay qoxhkilerini watanimizdin koghlap qekiriximiz kirek!!! Amdi yurtwazlikka, bihotlik kilexkha, surelmiqilik kelixkha kati bolmaydu!!!

ulumtuk Kashkarliklar mushundak mawjud bolup turidikan, Kashkar gumran bolidu !

Karanglar Ghulja, Aksu, Hotan, Kumul, Chuchak, Altay, Urimqi .... arka - arkidin Hitaygha karshi kozghaldi, kan tukti, bibaha janlarni watan-millat uchun pida kildi !!!!!!!

Garcha Kashkarliklarning sani kop bolsimu, amaliyatta Kashkarliklar watan - yurut - millat ular hech bir ishni kilghini zadila yok !

hitay jasuslirining eng yengi malumatigha asaslan'ghanda Kashkarliklarni bashkurushka kop kuch katmasmish, chunki nuwatta Kashkarliklarning zor kupchiligi hitayning podakchilirimish, hitayning tashwikatchilirimish, hitayning jasuslirimish, hetta Kashkarliklarni hitaylar eshak kilip minsimu ular hosh bolarmish, emma bashka Uyghurlargha nisbatan Kashkarliklar koz - kulakmish, jasusmish ..... hettaki Kashkarda Taksiy heydawatkan Kashkarliklar bashka yuruttin Kashkarga kalgan Uyghurlarni kurup kalsimu darhal hitay jasuslirigha, sakchilirigha malumat yatkuzup, ashu bichara Uyghurning Kashkarga kelip kalghinigha toyduruwetarmish .......

hainlar nadin chikiwatidu? - Kashkarliklardin chikiwatidu !

Kashkarliklar chat-aldimu yanila uzgargini yok, ular hetta uzlirini kutuldurushka tirishmaywatsa, undakta yana kimlar Kashkarni kutulduridu?

Kashkarliklar adamdak yashanglar, agar hemmanglar bir - birlap dowzakka beriwarsanglar, dowzaktiki bashka gunakar bandilarmu silardin bizar bolup katmisun ....

Oyghan Kashkarlik .............

Unregistered
20-09-09, 15:05
Yeqinqi tarixtin beri Kashgerde nema ishlar boldi?
Kashqer sheher ichidiki kashqer sepil ichidiki xelqni kochurgende we sepilni atalmish yer tewreshke qarshi turush dep cheqiwetkende, sepil sirtidki xelqler yardemde boldimu ? chunki Qeshqer sheher ichidimu, sepil ichidiki we sepil teshidiki xelq dep ayriydu. sepil teshidikiler kopinche keyin kochup kelgenler(kopinchisi yeqin atraptiki sheherlerdin mesilen aqsu digandak) lekin sepil ichidikisi burunqilar bolsa kerak.
Ager nopusni dese, Qashqarde uyghurlar eng kop, lekin Uyghur uchun bolghan weqelerde ulardin qanchilik adem chiqti? kop nopusluq bolush bilen uyghur dawsigha yetekchilik qilalidimu? ozini kurban qilghanlar yenila az nopusluq jaylardin chiqti.
meningche qashqerlikler belkim bashqilar urush qilip ghelibe qilghanda mewisini saqlap ulturidu xuddi Uyghurning wekili men dep axirqi hesapta hemmige ige bolmaqchi, del ayni waqittiki Kurban tulum akimizdek ishek bilen berip Mao bilen korushup ghelibe mewisini alghandak.

IgemenUyghur
07-10-09, 22:18
Saving Kashghar

By Kekenus Sidik

Kekenus the only way to save Kashgar is by fighting for Kashgar.. we need to be like no i am not leaving my home , we need to fight for the Kashgar, if Kashgar is gone then we will loose East Turkistan, Kasghar is our cultural center our educational center we cant loose it.. we need to arm ourselves and fight , protesting doesnt work.. the Chinese wont listen , they wont care..they lie and say its only for Earth Quake proof homes..haha thats hilarious, the buildings they made looks like it would fall down if i punched it, and Kasghar has been in many earthquakes and the ancient houses are much much better then the Chinese built "earthquake proof houses"... we need to save our country our nation..we need to fight and die giving blood and lives for freedom..we haven't fought all we do is protest or sit on our ass watching our houses crumble...we are too afraid to loose our precious lives..and we are living like slaves..i rather die fighting for my freedom my honor, my nation rather then watching my brothers and sisters get raped and murdered..

Unregistered
13-11-09, 12:53
新疆喀什老城改造风波

记者: 张楠 | 北京 2009年 11月 12日
图片来源: 美国之音张楠

http://www1.voanews.com/chinese/news/china/City-Renovation-20091112-69850612.html

喀什老城

相关文章

* 人权观察最新报告:中国各地方政府设置大量对上访民众实施非法拘留的黑监狱"
* 七五过后弥合民族伤痕任重道远
* 记者无国界组织调查,多数维人网站被封剪

一个大规模旧城改造工程正在新疆古城喀什进行。由于改建将给这个具有千年历史和西域风貌的维族人聚居地带来 巨大变化,该项目一启动便惹来争议。

*千年老城正在改建*

美国之音张楠
喀什老城

新疆,喀什。1000多年前,丝绸之路南段和北段在这个戈壁边缘的绿洲城镇相交。今天,这里依然生机勃 勃,充满活力。

街道两旁排列着各种手工业作坊---制作锅、勺、壶、铲、刀、斧的铁器铺,挂着干面杖、扎囊模子、桌子腿儿的木匠铺,摆满热瓦普、冬不拉和大小 手鼓的乐器铺,真是琳琅满目,令人目不暇接。

美国之音张楠
老城民居院内景象

风格独特的民居更是一景。弯曲狭窄的街道、上下两层的土坯草泥房、摆满花盆的院落、漂亮的雕花木门,这就是 当地传统的维吾尔建筑。

一名导游告诉我们:喀什老城上百年的房子,就是冬暖夏凉的,都是两层建的。第一层比较矮,因为第一层在地 下一米到一米半凹进去了以后才修建出来的,把上面的压力可以分担,所以到现在保存得还比较好。

然而,这些远近闻名的建筑是否还能保存下来,现在产生了疑问。记者最近在喀什访问时看到,到处都在拆房、建 房,一个总投资超过70亿元的大规模老城区改造工程正在进行。当地媒体说,截至目前,已拆除4 678户。

美国之音张楠
老城民居院内景象

*部分居民抵制拆迁*

这个项目从一开始就争议不断。首先是部分居民的不解和抵制。

一位居民通过翻译说,这些房子都是祖上传下来的,是他们的遗产,为了保留这笔遗产,他们将永远 住在这里。

从老城向外望去,在内地任何城市都能见到的公寓式高楼已经矗立在远方,那里将是部分拆迁户的未 来居所。

另外一位居民表示,他们无法适应公寓生活,因为过去的生活方式将不复存在,祖孙几代人同堂的日子将从此消逝 。

一位导游告诉美国之音,很多居民反对的另外一个原因是:这就是古城。你(在这里)有房子的话呢,你就是以 前的贵族家族的后代。你要是从这儿搬到20层的高楼上面,你住在那边,你就是普通人了,是没身份了。他们( 不搬)是为了祖先的身份,honor(荣耀)。

也有人提出,拆除这些房屋就是毁灭维吾尔族文化。

美国之音张楠
老城的建筑工地

*官方认为势在必行*

可是,在城市规划者看来,改造危旧房屋刻不容缓、势在必行。改造的一个主要动因是预防地震灾害 。

新疆地方政府拒绝了美国之音的采访请求,但是提供了一张关于喀什老城改造的记录片。在那张记录片中,喀什市 副市长徐建荣说:第一以人为本,生命第一。那么要使大量的这些建筑呢,通过改造以后达到抗震的条件。第二 ,完善基础设施,使我们各族老百姓能够充分地享受基础设施给他们带来的便利,提高他们的生活质 量。

美国之音张楠
老城的建筑工地

政府的说法并非没有道理。官员说,1902年的一场地震把喀什夷为平地,造成数百人死亡。

此外,上世纪60和70年代,由于中苏关系交恶,当地居民在当局深挖洞、广积粮的战略思想指导下,挖了 总长达30多公里的地道,使原有的老旧房屋基础更加不稳。

*老城改造引起国际关注*

喀什改造工程也受到国际媒体的关注。一篇题为为了保护古城,中国将把它夷为平地的《纽约时报》报道,引 起联合国教科文组织的注意。该组织驻京办事处文化项目官员卡贝丝决定亲自去现场看一看。

美国之音张楠
老城附近,现代式公寓楼拔地而起

卡贝丝告诉美国之音,在喀什,她强调了两点。第一,为了预防地震灾害和改善人民生活,政府这样 做是好的。

但是与此同时,她说,拆掉老房却又没有一个周密的复原规划,是对遗产的破坏。

喀什街头摆放的宣传板上印着卡贝丝访问的图片,并强调她赞扬了喀什的规划。对此,卡贝丝表示,当地政府删去 了她讲的部分内容。

她说:他们利用我和联合国教科文组织,为他们拆除房屋寻找理由。

她说,保护遗产并不反对发展改善,关键是如何在两者之间取得平衡。

*官方修正改造计划*

但是当地官员和学者似乎更强调少数民族生活的现代化。新疆文史学者刘学杰说:你不能认为维吾尔永远要住在 那个土窝子里去,那就把文化保留住了,继承了文化了,太可笑了呀!任何民族要前进,任何社会要 前进。

不过,在舆论的压力下,喀什政府对计划进行了调整。喀什市副市长徐建荣说: 我们下一步改造呢,突出风貌保护。尤其是在这核心区,我们大多数采取原址的这种重建的方式,来进行按照它 原有的城市的道路肌理、房屋建筑的特点,把这个优秀的维吾尔的建筑文化,能够再通过改造来得以 实现。

一位当地导游也告诉记者:喀什政府第一个方案,把他们房子要拆掉,搬到郊外,修建那么难看的(建筑)。但 是人家不愿意。最近发生了有些事,然后把这个又改变。(记者:发生了什么事?)七五事件。可能就这个原因吧 ,把自己的房子不要搬,政府这么加固。

美国之音张楠
联合国教科文组织北京办事处官员卡贝丝

卡贝丝说,如果这位导游所说的属实,那么联合国教科文组织会对修改后的方案予以支持。

她建议,围绕喀什旧城改造举行一个国际会议,让遇到同样问题的非洲和阿拉伯国家参加,共同讨论如何既改善生 活又保护遗产的问题。

卡贝丝说,在此之前,她希望喀什停止拆房。

关键词:新疆,喀什,老城改造,联合国教科文组织,徐建荣,卡贝丝,刘学杰