PDA

View Full Version : A Letter to President Barack Obama

Turdi Ghoja
12-06-09, 15:27
Folks,
If you agree to the opinion expressed in the following letter, please sign it and send to president's office or state department. I will post their contact info in a separate follow-up message.
Turdi
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear President Obama,

As a member of the Uighur ethnic group from China I am grateful that your administration has been trying to find a place to resettle the 17 Uighur men at Guantanamo. Yesterday was one of the happiest days of my life. I am sure it was the happiest day for the 10 million other Uighurs around the world who learned the news that four of the 17 men were resettled in Bermuda. It was not just the thrill of seeing the freedom of our fellow Uighurs that excited us, we felt the US Government and the world delivered justice to a people who are denied justice at home in China, we felt the helping hand of a great county that is well known for its tradition of showing compassion and support for the underprivileged and oppressed.

Armed with aggressiveness born from its newfound economic muscle, China has stepped up oppression of Uighurs and Tibetans in the recent years. In fact, it has launched full-scale cultural genocide against the Uighurs. Our history is being distorted, our language, which has been a written language for almost 1,500 years and contributed so much for the human civilization, is being banned at schools, our unique culture is constantly being attacked, our religion is being banned, our rights to equal opportunity for education and employment are being denied, and any one dared to voice their concern for these unfair treatments are being imprisoned under various political charges and often tortured and even executed. At a time the human race is celebrating its progress at the dawn of the 21st century and the American people elected a black president to the most powerful office in the world, the Chinese Government is engaged with its full weight in a racially motivated brutal and genocidal aggression against Uighurs, because it is convinced that the world will look the other way to secure the lucrative trade relations. To destroy the will and hope of our people, China has been fighting furiously against the resettlement of the Uighurs at Guantanamo. Through this event it wants to send a message to the Uighur population that it could bend the conscience of the world with its muscle to make it look away from what is happening to them. Fortunately, the US once again has shown its character and failed China’s attempt to deny justice to a group of innocent men under the eye of the whole world. That gave hope to my people who are struggling for survival, a hope that China is trying to bury. Uighurs got justice yesterday in the court of the world. That sent a strong message to the Uighurs and the Chinese Government.

Now let’s talk about the remaining 13 men still at Guantanamo. I do not want to come across as being ungrateful, I am grateful for the US Government’s effort and the gracious offer of Palau people, but I do not think Palau is a right place for them. It may be a great place for people who want to get away from their busy lives for a while, but it is not suitable for these men who spend most of the adult life in isolation. Most of these men came from villages from one of the most isolated places in the world and they were in their early twenties or late teens when they first brought to Guantanamo. To have an opportunity to put their lives together, they need a well-connected society and supportive human interaction, not a get away small island far away from anything. While Bermuda is only 2 hours from US east coast so that the Uyghurs in US can visit them and help them adjust to the new life, Palau is literally a world away and no one has any idea how to get there.

Spending their lives between oppression, on the run and incarceration, these people have barely had any chance to experience the normal life people in the free world take for granted. Mr. President, please have mercy on these young men and send them somewhere else where they can have a chance to rebuild their lives and a future.

Thank you and God bless you.

Unregistered
13-06-09, 12:12
het arqiliq:
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

FAX: 202-456-2461

email arqiliq:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

Turdi Ghoja
13-06-09, 12:18
Tuwendiki adristin internet arqiliq bikargha Fax iweteleysiz.
http://faxzero.com/

Turdi Ghoja
14-06-09, 20:49
The following passage in the following US Post Today article touched the core of the potential problem with this arrangement. "If the U.S. no longer considers the Uighurs a threat, why doesn’t it take them, they ask? Why dump them on some far-flung island republic with a tightknit, everyone-knows-his-neighbor culture that could soon make them feel like they were right back in prison?"
http://www.usposttoday.com/some-in-palau-are-worried-about-guantanamo-detainees/

I worry about exactly the same thing as the Palauian did.
They may enjoy their freedom for a couple of weeks or months, but when the dust settles down the reality sets in. When the world put the Guantanamo drama behind and turns off the light on them, will they find themselves in a dark tunnel with no light in sight? Palau is not a vibrant cosmopolitan island with western culture as Bermuda is. They may find it impossible to integrate into the closeknit society. This may the end of the Guantanamo problem but a beginning of a new problem. The world and US could move on and forget about them, but we cannot. We have to try to change the outcome while we can. It will be too late soon.

Turdi

Unregistered
14-06-09, 21:24
They could end up as a big catch for Chinese "fishermen".

Unregistered
14-06-09, 23:10
I would seriously worry about their safety if they ever be settled in this tiny island.
people could be nice, government could be generous, but don't forget, they are the enemy of China. it is not difficult for government of China, by using any backchannels at their disposal, to silence those guys within very minimum effort.

Unregistered
15-06-09, 05:06
I would seriously worry about their safety if they ever be settled in this tiny island.
people could be nice, government could be generous, but don't forget, they are the enemy of China. it is not difficult for government of China, by using any backchannels at their disposal, to silence those guys within very minimum effort.

I agree with you on some cases. the Chinese government have had killed many Uyghur activities in central Asia. we didn't forgot our history of overseas and should have to be careful on every our steps. The USA must be responsible for their life.