PDA

View Full Version : Editorial-The Rule of Law in Guantánamo

Unregistered
12-10-08, 15:11
Amerika Guantanamodiki Uyghurlarni iwetishni oylishiwatqan bu dolet isimlirige qaranglar:

Burkina Faso, Belize, Nauru, Palau, Tuvalu and the Marshall Islands.

-----------------------------------------------

A federal judge in Washington has struck an important blow for the rule of law by ordering that 17 detainees be freed from Guantánamo Bay. But the Bush administration is fighting the ruling to avoid having the case become an open window into the outlaw world of President Bush’s detention camps.

Appeals Panel Issues Stay of Order Freeing Detainees (October 9, 2008)
Judge Orders 17 Detainees at Guantánamo Freed (October 8, 2008)
Times Topics: Guántanamo Bay Naval Base (Cuba)The detainees are members of the Uighur Muslim minority of China, which is violently oppressed by the Beijing government. They were swept up in Pakistan after the American invasion of Afghanistan and thrown into indefinite detention as “illegal enemy combatants.”

They are not enemy combatants, legal or illegal, nor are they terrorists. Their detention — along with the detention of others held at Guantánamo without charges or real hearings — has gravely injured the nation’s tradition of due process and its international standing.

The Bush administration admitted long ago that the 17 Uighur detainees were not a threat to this country, but it would not allow them into the United States. Instead, Washington began asking other countries, mostly in Europe, to give the detainees asylum from China, which was demanding their return.

Those nations refused, partly out of fear of China’s reaction. The State Department argued that allowing some of the Uighurs into the United States would encourage other nations, but the White House refused.

Then, in June, the Supreme Court ruled that Guantánamo detainees had a right under the principle of habeas corpus to challenge their confinement. The court rejected the administration’s claim that the detainees were outside the reach of the courts.

The Uighurs filed habeas corpus petitions, and Judge Ricardo Urbina of Federal District Court in Washington ordered them released. Judge Urbina said it was time to “shine the light of constitutionality” on the Bush administration’s detention camps.

They need the light. The Bush administration told the countries it was trying to persuade to take the detainees that they posed no threat. It has stipulated in court documents that they are not a threat. But after Judge Urbina’s ruling, the government suddenly claimed the 17 men were a threat, and managed to obtain a stay of the judge’s order from the federal appeals court in Washington.

Meanwhile, Washington is still trying to find a country to take the Uighurs — assuring those nations, no doubt, that they are no threat. The search is reportedly focused on countries that recognize Taiwan and thus are less worried about offending China — a list that includes Burkina Faso, Belize, Nauru, Palau, Tuvalu and the Marshall Islands. Some human rights advocates suspect the administration sought the injunction to buy time to quietly ship the Uighurs to one of these remote countries.

The administration must not be allowed to do that. The appellate court should affirm Judge Urbina’s ruling and allow the detainees into the United States. The government’s counterproposal — if the Uighurs cannot go somewhere else, they should stay at Guantánamo — is more absurd than its other arguments.

The administration is not afraid the Uighurs will take to the streets against the United States government. It is afraid they will take to the microphones.

Unregistered
12-10-08, 19:11
It would be a goog idea to cite the source of this article.

Turdi Ghoja
12-10-08, 20:26
I sent the following letter to some newspapers. I am not sure if they will publish it though. You may modify it to make it your own and send it under your name to any place you think appropriate. You can also post it at website discussion forums related to this topic.

Turdi
xxxxxxxx

As a member of the small Uyghur community in US, I am deeply disappointed at Bush administration’s refusal to enforce Judge Urbina’s ruling on the 17 Uyghur detainees at Guantanamo.

Those men should not have been there in the first place. The same Pakistani tribesmen in the borderlands between Afghanistan and Pakistan who sold these Uyghurs to US are still harboring the real terrorists and Talibans as we hear so much about these days. It appears to me that they handed over these Uyghurs to US not because they supported the US call for cooperation, but because they wanted to make fun at it and perhaps needed money to feed the real terrorists whom the US wanted. If they really meant to handover terrorist suspects to US for money, they could perhaps find the ones who worth far more than these men. As I understand, there are millions of dollars of bounties on some Al-Qaida and Taliban members, however they are still at large. I am very curious to know how many high profile suspects the US has been able to capture through the cooperation of Pakistan Tribesmen.

Al-Qaida and Taliban have never had any problem with China. I suspect that just as the whole Muslim world of the Middle East, they may regard China as a potential ally in their fight against the West. Those 17 Uyghur men, on the contrary, have problem only with China and no one else, because China oppresses my people violently. As most Uyghurs, they may have seen US as a friend and ally rather than an enemy. That is perhaps what sent them to their current fate.

The Bush administration admitted long ago that the 17 Uyghur detainees were not a threat to this country and cleared them for release. The problem is those men could not go back to China where they would face torture and execution. Other governments approached by Bush administration refused to accept them out of fear of China’s retribution. The State Department argued that allowing some of the Uyghurs into the United States would encourage other nations, but the White House refused.

Judge Ricardo Urbina of Federal District Court in Washington ordered them released last Tuesday. But the administration obtained a stay of the judge’s order from the federal appeals court in Washington.

Now the search for the settlement of these 17 men is reportedly focused on countries that recognize Taiwan and thus are less worried about offending China — a list that includes Burkina Faso, Belize, Nauru, Palau, Tuvalu and the Marshall Islands. But, I have a great suggestion: dump them in Antarctica. The Chinese are killing their countrymen in thousands each year and subjecting the whole population to horrendous human rights violations and forced assimilation while world practically kept silent. I am sure no one will fuss about these 17 men either. They are Uyghurs, a people with no country.

Turdi Ghoja

Philadelphia, PA

Unregistered
13-10-08, 06:31
`DUQ ning teshwiqatliri baghansiri kuchiwatidu!` Nima uchun? chunki man bir tor bette DUD ning Xitaypereslerga qarshi inkar qilghili bolmaydighan Teshwiqatliri bar iken.DUQ diki satqunlar pash qilinghan. shnga DUQ olturalmay tetur "teshwiqatliri baghansiri kuchiwatidu!". Perhat memet, s.haji rozi, Omer qanatlar ozini qoghdash uchun radioda "obzor"dep bir nimilerni yiziwatidu. diqqet qisingiz xitaychiliq bilen toqolghan kona gepler.

her xil pikirlerni UAA tor bet iliwitip keldi. uyghurlarni oz-ara til-haqaretke oyushturup keldi. wetendiki torlarning, ozbek, qazaq, tatar, turklerning hichbiride Adminlarning bash tehriri UAA dikidek bundaq rezil emes.

bu Torni oqup korunglar:

http://www.e y n e k.biz (5 herpni yiqinlashturung, ichilidu)

DUD teshkilatining yazmiliri bar iken.