PDA

View Full Version : Would like to meet Uyghur Family in Dunhuang

Mark
19-05-05, 23:11
My family and I would like to meet an English speaking Yugur person/family in Dunhuang in mid-July.

I was first introduced to the Yugur when I briefly worked in Urumqi, Korla and the Tarim basin north of Qierno. I am now taking my family to China on a vacation and would like them to meet some Yugur people and experience a bit of the culture.
We were hoping to receive a first hand lesson in Yugur cuisine, customs etc. by taking a Yugur family out for dinner in Dunhuang. We would, of course pay for dinner at the Yugur restaurant of their choice and want nothing more than to get acquainted and perhaps help us speak a little Yugur. We will also be hiring a tour guide and would prefer someone who can show us more than the usual tourist stops.

We are a Canadian family with two children 16 and 14 years of age. So if you know of an –English-speaking Yugur person or family in Dunhuang who would like to get acquainted, please give them this email address: mkavanagh@telsuplanet.net

Rehmet!
Thank you!

Mark

mark
19-05-05, 23:18
My aplogies, I miss-spelled Uyghur in the body of my message.

Tasman Uyghur
20-05-05, 03:18
I know Dunhuang was created by Uyghurs a long time ago, but I have never heard that there are any Uyghurs live in Dunhuang.

Sorry I am not able to help you.

Uyghur
20-05-05, 14:10
Hello Mark,

I'm very glad to hear that you're interested in Uyghur language and culture. But I'm afraid you won't be able to find any "Uyghur" family in Dunhuang area.

"Uyghur"s in Xinjiang (East Turkestan) and "Yugur" in Gansu Province orginally belonged to the same family of people. However, they separated from one another during the great migration westward (from their original homeland in today's Mongolia) during the 8th century. One group stayed in today's Gansu area, adopted Buddhism and called themselves "Yugur". The majority of the migrants moved into today's Xinjiang, mixed with other Turko-Iranic people in the area, adopted Islam between the 10-14th century and they're the "Uyghur" people of the Xinjiang nowadays.

So, as you can see, "Uyghur" and "Yugur" are different people today and there're virtually no communication between them.

Best,

-Uyghur

Mark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My family and I would like to meet an English
> speaking Yugur person/family in Dunhuang in
> mid-July.
>
> I was first introduced to the Yugur when I briefly
> worked in Urumqi, Korla and the Tarim basin north
> of Qierno. I am now taking my family to China on
> a vacation and would like them to meet some Yugur
> people and experience a bit of the culture.
> We were hoping to receive a first hand lesson in
> Yugur cuisine, customs etc. by taking a Yugur
> family out for dinner in Dunhuang. We would, of
> course pay for dinner at the Yugur restaurant of
> their choice and want nothing more than to get
> acquainted and perhaps help us speak a little
> Yugur. We will also be hiring a tour guide and
> would prefer someone who can show us more than the
> usual tourist stops.
>
> We are a Canadian family with two children 16 and
> 14 years of age. So if you know of an
> –English-speaking Yugur person or family in
> Dunhuang who would like to get acquainted, please
> give them this email address:
> mkavanagh@telsuplanet.net
>
> Rehmet!
> Thank you!
>
> Mark
>

Mark
21-05-05, 03:13
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it.

Mark