PDA

View Full Version : email from an American friend after she read "China's Wild West" I gave her...

Unregistered
30-09-08, 18:35
Hi XX,

I finally finished reading the book you gave me. (I had set it down for a few months while I was dealing with other things.) I think it's a very good book and very informative.

It seems to me that the Han Chinese view as "separatist" anything that is not complete assimilation, and are not able to recognize Uyghur culture and way of life as another valid way of looking at the world. I have to wonder if they were allowed to do things their own way and rule themselves in justice and equality whether anyone would still be pushing for a separate East Turkestan. If the book is accurate, it would seem as if Uyghurs in general are pretty easy-going and passive and would accept any governing body so long as it was fair and equal and did not keep them from expressing themselves or living their lives as they choose. It seems like they are only "separatists" because of the huge injustices being committed against them. It's only natural. Who wouldn't want to separate themselves from such an oppressive system?

When I look at American history and our struggle for freedom, I think religion played a key part. There were many different denominations, but all in all we believed in freedom and equality because of our belief in God and the Bible. We were able to be united in spite of different denominations because we generally looked at the world the same way and were able to see the same solution. The issue of slavery really divided us during the Civil War. I think one reason why is because of Biblical interpretation. One thing that is expressed in the Bible is our equality and that God is impartial, but it also gives us instructions on how to treat slaves and so on. But when all was said and done, slavery was an inherent evil because people did not treat them with respect and with care and with love, and Biblically love is the most important command. I see a lot of people who point at all the evils that Christians did or what the "church" did. But people are sinners and there is not instant cure that makes us instantly and totally perfect, and it's easy enough now to look back and say those things were wrong. But at the time, it was an acceptable thing to own a slave. What enlightened people to the evil was the Bible, and when people were faced with either the accepted way of doing something or changing according to the Bible and following God, they chose to follow God. We don't come to recognize sinful things without instruction, and we simply cannot make the assessment without some kind of moral God. Anyway, Martin Luther King Jr. marks another passage where people were divided. He was able to do what African-American violent extremists could not do because he was able to convict people based on the Bible. He was able to peaceably and clearly reveal the evils and the injustices in Biblical terms that all people could understand. There are still fringe racist groups, but I think he was able once again to unite the people and point them in the right direction- towards Love.

And when I look at things going on today, I see some of the same things happening in this nation as what I saw in the book about the Uyghur dilemma. That is, without religious unity, the kind of unity only the Holy Spirit can create in the hearts of people, everyone bickers and fights with everyone else. Everyone has their own idea about what should happen or how the various problems should be fixed. In the United States, rather than approaching things from a Biblical worldview as we have previously, there is a huge hodge-podge of religious views including atheism. These different goals and different views result in different solutions and constant arguing. With Uyghurs, even though they are generally Islamic, there are multiple problems that I see happening. One is that it seems like Uyghurs are mostly Islamic in name only, only in tradition. They are not actually adhering to the faith. (Much the same way as Mexicans are traditionally Catholic, but many observe less than half the rituals, if they do any at all.) But even if Uyghurs were to follow the Koran, there are simply too many ways of interpretting the Koran, and I believe it is flawed to begin with, constantly contradicting itself. It does the people no service and Islam cannot unite them because of its own conflicts. People speak of peace and speak of unity, but it is not something that can be faked or pretended at. Either there is like-mindedness or there is not. Like horses tied together all pulling in different directions, no one gets anywhere. But no one is willing to let go of their own agenda or their own thoughts on what is best and make the compromise. It's completely natural behavior. I think we all do it. Each one is convinced of his own way.

There are no easy solutions to the problems that Uyghurs face. From what I can see, there are actually relatively few people in China who are prospering from this system of government. Not even the Han Chinese prosper equally amongst themselves or thrive under the Chinese government. And besides the Uyghurs, there are many other minority groups also suffering. Maybe what needs to happen is for all the sufferers to unite together and to each stop thinking of their own self interest and take up the causes of the others. I think the whole government either needs to be overthrown or completely restructured in order to solve the problems facing your people and the other minority people groups in China. I don't think Han Chinese are evil anymore than anyone else is evil. They have been brainwashed all their lives into a certain way of thinking and it takes a lot to break a person's mindset and allow a whole different way of thinking and looking at the world to penetrate in. This is one of the great evils of public schooling, if you ask me. It's one of the greatest ways for a government to control people and keep people from going against the grain and actually thinking.

Anyway, it's a multi-faceted issue, but no matter how you look at it, there are some huge injustices being committed. It's enough to make me want to boycott anything made in China because there's just no way of really knowing where it came from or who made it or who is prospering from it and who is hurting because of it.

Carol