PDA

View Full Version : Tibet chirayimiz yoqken

Unregistered
23-09-08, 07:47
[ Profile ] [ Log in to check your private messages ] [ Register ] [ Log in ]
Your continued use of PoliticsForum is subject to your full agreement with the Forum Rules and Terms and Conditions of Use.

Politics Forum .org Index » Asia-Central » Why do Americans care about Tibetans, but not Uyghurs?

Why do Americans care about Tibetans, but not Uyghurs?
dongcha
Lobby Fodder (say hi & be nice to me!)

[ PM ] Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:35 pm
I posted this on my blog today, and am curious what the opinions are on the subject in this forum. Why does America pay so much attention to Tibet, but not to the Uyghur minorities in Xinjiang, even though their situations and problems are roughly the same?

The full post:
http://dongcha.org/2008/08/xinjiangs-uyghurs-...

What do people think?

dongcha.org

John08
26% Corrupt

[ PM ] Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:27 pm
I'm geussing it has to do with the fact that Tibet has a leadership figure we can recongise (the Dali Lama). Not to mention, few people have heard of the Uyghur.

Regulation: Because of The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair
Autogestion: To end The Expoiltation of Representation
Market: So Companys are answerable to the public
I'm not a Marxist

HoniSoit
Absolutely Corrupt (x3)

[ PM ] Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:12 am
You know, they are Muslim - terrorists by definition.

History is nothing but the activity of people pursuing their aims - Marx

SeriousCat
23% Corrupt

Location: Colbert Nation Ideaology: Laissez-faire Religion: Atheism
[ PM ] Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:07 am
dongcha wrote:
I posted this on my blog today, and am curious what the opinions are on the subject in this forum. Why does America pay so much attention to Tibet, but not to the Uyghur minorities in Xinjiang, even though their situations and problems are roughly the same?
John08 wrote:
I'm geussing it has to do with the fact that Tibet has a leadership figure we can recongise (the Dali Lama). Not to mention, few people have heard of the Uyghur.

It sounds like you just made that country up. The lack of exposure means that there is little awareness of the country and even less of its problems. Tibet has an exiled government and exiled head of state, which goes on diplomatic visits to major world players. In stark contrast, Uyghur hasn't risen to the spotlight and has done nothing to raise awareness. You cannot care about something specfic if you don't know what that specific matter is.

HoniSoit wrote:

Either you are being sarcastic, or you're a bigot.

"PR [and politics] is about theory, not practice. A philosopher may very well argue that a table doesn't exist in principle, but he can still have his dinner on one." ~ Charles Prentiss

E: +2.50
S: -5.28

Mike Powell
21% Corrupt

[ PM ] Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:20 pm
Quote:

Beware the stereotype that you had, for it may destroy your very believe in the future.

For king and country.

Red Rebel
63% Corrupt

[ PM ] Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:32 pm
The image of the Dali Lama mainly. Pacifist monks seem to attract attention. Also recall the monks in Myanmar in 2007. Pacisfism is a rather nice idea, besides not working and all.

"I definitely would not want to meet Red Rebel in person without a gun by my side to defend myself." - SaulOhio

Le Rouge
Absolutely Corrupt (x2)

[ PM ] Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:36 pm
Because the Dalai Lama is a corporate executive of one of the world's biggest franchise. He's also the heir to throne of one of the most violent, destructive feudal countries in the world. The Uyghurs on the other hand are Muslim small-time peasants and nomads.

Maxim Litvinov
Absolutely Corrupt (x13)

[ PM ] Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:54 pm
Liberals in the US love Buddhism, Conservatives in the US hate Muslims - the Tibetans have their stars aligned, the Uyghurs lose out.

You may as well as the same thing about Albanians and Ossetians. Again, the West has a hopeless double standard - one should enjoy independence, the other shouldn't.

HoniSoit
Absolutely Corrupt (x3)

[ PM ] Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:30 am
Maxim wrote:
You may as well as the same thing about Albanians and Ossetians. Again, the West has a hopeless double standard - one should enjoy independence, the other shouldn't.

Graeme was just on the 7:30 report on the conflict.

History is nothing but the activity of people pursuing their aims - Marx

dongcha

[ PM ] Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:52 pm
Quote:
It sounds like you just made that country up. The lack of exposure means that there is little awareness of the country and even less of its problems.

Actually, I think there might be some confusion here. The country in question where the Uyghurs are asking for independence/more autonomy is (Western) China--essentially putting them in the same situation as the Tibetans.

As to other comments, sure the Tibetans are better organized, have a better PR team, etc.--but is this putting the cart before the horse? Do Americans focus on them more because of these things, or do they have these things because Americans focus on them more?

dongcha.org

Mike Powell
21% Corrupt

[ PM ] Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:55 pm
Quote:
Liberals in the US love Buddhism, Conservatives in the US hate Muslims - the Tibetans have their stars aligned, the Uyghurs lose out.

Lets see things in a different way (or alternate history if possible), suddenly a group of Buddhist militants attack on U.S. or some other parts of western countries, or trades between western world and Buddhist countries grind to a halt due to some disputes.

Lets imagine this, if this things has happened instead on the Muslims. Will the western media and society labelled buddhists are a group of terrorists? As a buddhist myself, is a scary thought if this kind of thing ever happen.

If the stereotypical western media thought that Muslims are a group of militant fundamentalist. Then I'm sorry to say that even in Buddhism, Christian, there is militant faction as well. Only this time however, the Muslims get the headline.

For king and country.

Harmattan
3% Corrupt

[ PM ] Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:50 pm
"Why does America pay so much attention to Tibet, but not to the Uyghur minorities in Xinjiang, even though their situations and problems are roughly the same?"

It's called "marketing".

Mike Powell
21% Corrupt

[ PM ] Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:44 pm
Quote:
"Why does America pay so much attention to Tibet, but not to the Uyghur minorities in Xinjiang, even though their situations and problems are roughly the same?"

It's called "marketing".

Or should I say, discrimination?

Freedom is every living being's right. Well, if those liberalists called themselves freedom fighter than why not support the Uyghur as well?

Freedom that preached out of discrimination is as bad as dictatorship itself. Well sadly, somebody just shown their true color.

For king and country.

Harmattan
3% Corrupt

[ PM ] Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:10 pm
Discrimination ? So, what about Darfur ? I don't try to pretend that, for any victim in the world, being muslim is irrelevant in order to get some attention from the West. This is, indeed : media buzz decrease with the geographical and cultural distance.

However, the truth is far more sad than discrimination : there is far more poverty and crimes in the world than the current tv-watcher can bear with. So, in order to be drawn on the front of the scene, victims usually need marketing and support from the right people.

Tibet was used by USA against the communist China (the Dalai Lama was highly marketable). Darfur is also, in some way, a China/USA fight. Georgian operations were barely under spotlights until Russia came in the field.

Mike Powell
21% Corrupt

[ PM ] Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:55 pm
Quote:
Discrimination ? So, what about Darfur ? I don't try to pretend that, for any victim in the world, being muslim is irrelevant in order to get some attention from the West. This is, indeed : media buzz decrease with the geographical and cultural distance.

However, the truth is far more sad than discrimination : there is far more poverty and crimes in the world than the current tv-watcher can bear with. So, in order to be drawn on the front of the scene, victims usually need marketing and support from the right people.

Relax, buddy don't get me wrong. What I say is this world is big, much bigger than we thought. And there always something that's more than meet the eyes.

The reason China gets lots of attention regarding Darfur case is because one thing, China is the biggest investor in that country. And sadly, in the past China did sold her arms and planes to Sudan and worse, they use them against the Darfur region.

Perhaps just an imagination. If my country is the biggest investor rather than China (sorry for the scenario change) and we need provide monetary support to the regime, will most of the west's media lambasted my country?

Truth can be very hurtful sometimes. Truth has also, can be very twisted when we look deep down inside. In this real world, do we see the real truth? Well, I do hope so.

For king and country.

Lone Gunman
15% Corrupt

[ PM ] Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:04 am
I'd say there are two underlying reasons for why America's government and society in general don't really know or care about the Uyghur independence movement:

1. Most Americans don't even know about Uyghur/Turkistan, let alone the rest of the western world. Tibet is obviously in the media a lot and has a more outspoken and prominent leader (the Dalai Lama). This is also partly due to the fact that the Chinese government has also made the Dalai Lama into a celebrity unwittingly by labeling him a dissident and troublemaker.

2. The US government, ironically, might not want to support the creation of a vastly Muslim state at the expense of losing China's economic and political co-operation. Even more ironic still is China's sudden paranoia about the Uyghur Muslims was probably strengthened after 9/11 and the anti-Muslim sentiments that have arisen since then. The Chinese probably watched 9/11 and went 'oh shit, if they can do that to America surely they can do it to us.' I doubt I'm far off the truth on that one. Now Americans might not realize that, but in general the Chinese government is probably just as paranoid about Muslims as they are.

No organized world power, least of all China or America, would let a nation of angry Muslims be a thorn in the side of their hegemonic ambitions.

Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman

dutchrob
1% Corrupt

[ PM ] Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:01 pm
I agree that there is a general fear of muslims that seems to exist all over the world.

What I don't get is that the Uyghur peoples spokesperson didn't get more attention from the press, especially during the Olympics. She was in the white house a few weeks ago, and her appearance isn't very threatening. (She's quite small and she wears her hair in braids)

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Mike Powell
21% Corrupt

[ PM ] Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:56 pm
Quote:
I agree that there is a general fear of muslims that seems to exist all over the world.

What I don't get is that the Uyghur peoples spokesperson didn't get more attention from the press, especially during the Olympics. She was in the white house a few weeks ago, and her appearance isn't very threatening. (She's quite small and she wears her hair in braids)

For those who fear others should be careful since fundamentalism too, is base on fear to change of perspective.

Fear is a darkside's power can either make you a fool or a fiend.

For king and country.

resilient

[ PM ] Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:23 pm
That's because they are not funded by the CIA. And they do not protest against the government.

см&am
Yellow Card (warning)

[ PM ] Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:44 am
My countrymen tend to only give a shit about what the media tells them about and what their peers say is important. Most U.S. citizens can't find their way around their own city, don't know how to locate their state on a topographic map, or locate their own country. I'm throughly worried about the fact both Obama and McCain are trying to back Georgia in their new conflict. The U.N. should have recognized the sovereignty of Ossetia back in the 90s. This country is producing nothing but ignorant selfish assholes, include those with low cognitive ability who are just plain stupid, the apathetic, the lazy, and the uneducated, and you're left with a very small minority of people who have any idea about the big picture.

babilonian
Yellow Card (warning)

[ PM ] Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:30 am
I think just because they originally don't belong as part of China, it doesn't mean they have to have independence. We don't live in a perfect world. There are many poor Chinese living in china and they are only a part of that fact.
If the world was perfect, we would give a country to Kurds and the USA would have to give back California to the Mexicans.

Times change and geography change too. I am sad that many people are oppressed and not treated like humans every where in this world.

Only white man thinks he deserves better. Everyone else is not worthy. Only when white man says so.

Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First